Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Surnames - various spellings.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Inky1

Inky1 Report 22 Mar 2018 14:01

Whilst I continue to beaver away with my own lines, though break-throughs are now rare, my wife has now taken an interest in her Irish roots (mainly in Co. Galway).

She showed me an article in the Irish Times from October 2016. An extract from that article:-

A few hundred years ago people paid little attention to how names were spelled. One extreme example is on a tombstone in Ireland where the surname for a family of six is shown as McEneaney, McAneany, McAneny, McEnaney, McEneany – and Bird (from the mistaken belief that the name comes from éan, a bird).

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 23 Mar 2018 14:48

My OH has an ancestor in the mid-1800's, whose 6 children were all registered with different spellings of their surname!

His cousin was only interested in tracing the people who spelt their names the same way she did, but rapidly gave up that idea when she got back as far as said ancestor and only one was spelt her way!! :-S

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Mar 2018 16:14

not being able to read or write often had a bearing on the records

the enumerator or the registrar spelt it as it sounded and regional accents too played a part .

if you couldnt read then you wouldnt know how anything was spelt