Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Apr 2018 15:18

Does anyone know if there is a way of searching the electoral roll using two names at the same time?

The couple do not appear to be in the county I expected post 2005 which is when they married. I know they may have opted out but was hoping to search the rest of the UK to confirm this. Unfortunately the surname is a common one and the first names of both surprisingly almost as common which means it is producing 200 results when I search the country as a whole.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Apr 2018 16:01

I don't think so Tawny. The most obvious reason for not finding them where you expect IS that they have opted out of the commercially available register.

Kath. x

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Apr 2018 16:18

Thank you Kath. I thought that would be the case but decided it was worth a try anyway.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 7 Apr 2018 16:53

I just tried searching electoral registers on FMP-

I opted out of the electoral register but I know I appear in 2002. My partner has a very common first name and surname. I put their name in the search box, the general area we were then living, and my first name in the optional keyword box. It produced one result- ME and my partner.

Without the addition of my name it produced 72 matches.

So it seems the 'Optional Keywords' box on FMP will narrow your search

Do you have access to FMP?

Tawny

Tawny Report 7 Apr 2018 17:29

I do yes. I’ll give that a go. Thanks AustinQ