Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

KEEP MY GR FAMILY TREE PRIVATE?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 12 Apr 2018 21:33

Please could someone advise me how I keep the details of my Family Tree on GR private?
Thank you.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Apr 2018 21:43

It is private unless you open it to someone. However the names on it will still show up in if someone searches trees. For instance my late father would show if you searched his name, but you'd have to ask me to open my tree to see any more than name and year of birth.

greyghost

greyghost Report 12 Apr 2018 21:48

No-one can actually see your complete tree without asking you to open it for them to look at.

Under the "My account/Personal details" heading you can choose to hide the details of living relatives, but I'm not sure if the basics still show up under the Search even if hidden in the opened tree.

Anyone's details that you enter onto your tree will appear under the Search all Members trees feature as a name, year of birth and place of birth and tree owners name. This is where the option then comes to contact anyone with a name in common to ask for further access.

You can't see people in your own tree under the Search facility.

Actually this is what comes up if you go to "Site Links" and then the "Terms and Conditions" heading right at the bottom of any page and scroll through those T's & C's-

Registration and Family Tree Information. The details you provide on Registration, and the details of those you enter into your family tree are only available to you, except that names, year of birth and place of birth for you and those in your tree are searchable by other Members. Details in your family tree can be shared with other members at your discretion. If you would like to hide details of all living relatives in your family tree, you can do so by visiting the 'My Account' page and choosing Yes in the 'Hide Living Relations' drop down. Search results from your tree will only be associated with you by your first name (which will be displayed together with the search results), your email address is never revealed.

Nicola'S

Nicola'S Report 12 Apr 2018 21:52

Thank you to both of you!
:-)