Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Copying own tree from Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Apr 2018 14:32

Please can anyone help re. how to copy one's own tree from Ancestry.,to enable it to be also on home computer?

My friend has her tree on Ancestry.
She works on a family surname on her computer, then has backed up the information to a memory stick.
She has back up for several name groups, but last week had a 'melt down' in her computer It meant a new computer and the information was melted and lost..Although she had put the information onto Ancestry, she had not backed up the information for the family name, which was a work in progress.

How can she retrieve her work from Ancestry, so that she also has a home copy?

Both friend and I are not computer savvy, so gentle information required please to 'talk' her through this.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Apr 2018 15:37

Assuming it's her tree she wants to have a home copy of -

She can download her tree from Ancestry to a memory stick in the form of a GEDCOM file.

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Uploading-and-Downloading-Trees

Then she'll need to install another family tree programme on her computer, and upload the GEDCOM file to that from the memory stick.

There's a big choice of family tree programmes to chose from - just Google them. Many are free - I use the free version of Roots Magic, for instance.

https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

But there are lots of others available.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Apr 2018 07:22

Thank you ArgyllGran, I will send her that information today.

I'm not sure of her situation regarding a family tree program. I know she used one on the old computer.
She will be relieved to not have to manually copy each person's information onto her computer.

Kense

Kense Report 24 Apr 2018 10:42

It doesn't matter that she had not backed up the information on Ancestry as it will still be there on her new computer, all she has to do is to log in to Ancestry.

You do need to back up the Ancestry tree regularly for when the subscription expires and that needs to include records and photos which are not backed up in a GEDCOM.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Apr 2018 17:29

Kense
Thank you for your reply.

Perhaps I didn't explain very well.

What she wants to do is to take her information from Ancestry into a working folder /. program, because she only has back up information for some of her names of interest.

She has many hours of research on Ancestry and wants separate entries for each individual on her computer. Only some branches can be transferred from memory stick to the new computer and she wanted help to be able to retrieve her Ancestry information on other branches.