Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Possible Security issue relating to Genes Reunited

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alastair

Alastair Report 12 Jun 2018 11:51

I have just joined Genes Reunited, but have been compiling my family tree (Gemmell/Duncanson family from Scotland) for a while, using Family Historian. I have been hoping that Genes Reunited would give me access to information I have yet to uncover about my ancestors, so I just tried to download the GEDCOM file I have created in the process of my previous researches. I am running Genes Reunited on Mozilla Firefox 60.0.2 (64-bit) version, using Windows 10 as my OS. I was therefore surprised to see that Firefox blocked my download to the genesreunited.com.au site with a message that the genesreunited site was incorrectly configured for safe usage! Has anyone else encountered this problem, and is there a safe workaround if they have? Any information would bemost welcome. Al

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2018 13:05

There a couple of members on the boards who may be able to give you a sensible reply. Failing that, email support

[email protected]

In general, gedcoms can get mangled by which ever site you use. GR is no exception!
If you're looking for new records, you'd be better off with a full sub to to it's sister site FMP. The 'hints' generated by Family Historian don't include the whole database.

Despite your experience of research, members would be wiling to help you with any brickwalls. Sometimes a different way of thinking helps to break them down.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jun 2018 00:01

Be aware that you can only have 1 tree per membership on GR, and that importing a GEDCOM will overwrite all information on that tree.

You can have more than 1 tree by taking out a free membership with a different email address for each tree ........... use one of the free emails such as gmail.

I should also add that I use Firefox, and that it often tells me that 1 site or other is unsafe ............... if it is a site that I use frequently and know, then I ignore the warning!

I only pay attention if I am accessing a site that I do not know.

Alastair

Alastair Report 13 Jun 2018 10:49

Thank you for the various comments. I can add to the discussion now I have discovered that I can access GenesReunited without problem by using Chrome as my browser, though Firefox is still my preferred option, and still keeps throwing up the same warning that caused my initial posts.

There was no danger that I was overwriting a pre-existing tree when the error message came up, as I had downloaded the GEDCOM for my tree immediately after initially registering with GenesReunited. Is there a size limit for GEDCOM files on the system? My GEDCOM is quite substantial, I suspect, and I initially was wondering if I had simply run out of space.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jun 2018 11:57

No idea! I have been given access to extremely large trees in the past, within the region of 30 000 names.
For a definitive answer, you do need to contact Support using the email address as above.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 15 Jun 2018 18:33

Largest tree on here that I have access to has 40,165 names as of just now. (Though I would not consider that a tree any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Jun 2018 22:18

I haven't looked at trees on here for a while, but there are a couple who keep adding to theirs. I have just checked them out and one is now at 177,000 - it's a proper forest!!

Mine, by contrast, is at 2,200, and at least half of those are OH's side of the family. At least I know all the names in mine, and have a pretty good idea where they are in relation to me!