Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 6 Aug 2018 09:44

Just interested, when someone in a nursing home makes a will with a solicitor and then dies should the solicitor send the will to the place where wills go?
Very interested in this as I tried to get a copy for someone that died 2 years ago paying 10 pound a letter came back telling me they don’t have it??

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Aug 2018 10:27

It depends on whether the Will goes to Probate.

When my husband died, the Will did not need go to Probate, and it was passed to me.

Lots of info online about Wills and Probate - try googling.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Aug 2018 11:13

It also depends on the size of the Estate.

A friend’s daughter died aged 21. She was cohabiting but unmarried. Her Will did not go to Probate as she had so little in monetary terms to bequeath. RIP CH <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Aug 2018 12:46

It depends who was appointed executor

We left our wills with the solicitor but had a copy too

I was the executor for hubby will and I got his and mine from the solicitor as they had been taken over by another solicitor who had archived old papers
Thought it better to get mine and keep it at home

I did the probate for hubby

Now if you relation did a will but it wasn't sent to probate then finding it may be problem

Sidami

Sidami Report 6 Aug 2018 15:07

Thanks