Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Y Chromosome testing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

peter

peter Report 8 Aug 2018 10:29

Hi all, i've traced living relatives of a deceased man who i think is my granddad. Because im not 100% sure i need to have a Y chromosome test with a grandson of his which will hopefully show if we are related andprove he is my grandfather.

Has anyone tried this test and if so can you recomend a company who will carry it out. I'm based in the UK and the potential cousin is based New Zealand.
Thanks

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Aug 2018 10:59

Your best bet is to Google for info I think

That's seems to be a specific test rather than a general DNA

Think it could be awkward as you won't be in the same area to take the swabs

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 8 Aug 2018 15:03

I had my brother tested Y (he was not interested so I paid and he provided the sample!!)with FTDNA,it is not cheap,especially for us in the UK at present but they do have a" sale" on until the 31st August.

Check out their site- www.ftdna.com and read the info.

It is usually recommended that you test Y to 37 markers at least,to begin with. Once you have provided a sample it can be stored for up to 25 years and you can "upgrade"your tests if you want to from the same sample.

I think FTDNA and YElite are the only companiies providing full tests of the Y chromosome at present and Y Elite is more expensive.

peter

peter Report 9 Aug 2018 13:43

thanks for the very useful information