Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

domestic servant records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 15 Aug 2018 13:46

Would there be such a thing as domestic servant employment records from 1922/23 for Warwick Road Lapworth?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 15 Aug 2018 14:04

Have never seen any

Most domestic sevants would be live in listed as servants on any census

For the years you are interested in there weren't any census to check on as I,m sure you are aware

:-)

Angela

Angela Report 15 Aug 2018 14:15

Yes I know there was not any census records for that time, I was not sure if there was any records at all. thanks for your reply

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 15 Aug 2018 17:08

Original there might have been employment agency records, but who knows if they’ve survived?

Domestic servants were frequently recommended by someone else, or the prospective employer would place a small ad in the local paper. There was also adverts for ‘situation wanted’ placed by the servant themselves.

Have you tracked down the historical electoral rolls? If they were Male over 21 & ‘lived in’ they might be listed. Unmarried females, unless they owned property, weren’t included in the roll until 1928.
Someone will correct if that’s incorrect. It’s easy to get confused :-)