Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

O'Farrel / Farrel

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 26 Aug 2018 15:09

Can anyone help me.
I am researching my son in laws family tree. His great great grandfather was George O ' Farrel. We know the O' was dropped at some stage but not when.
I have found him on 1911 census and was William George Farrel married to Sarah?

I am now struggling where to access Irish records, before 1911 for census, births, marriages and deaths.

Are there any recommended websites to use please, as research now stopped.
Any advice much appreciated. Thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Aug 2018 15:42

Teresa started this stickied thread which you might find useful. The first post, in particular, has a list of recommended sites many of which are free.

Other people have added new ones when they've come across them.

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/951721

Try for yourself first, but if you're stuck come back to the thread. There's sure to be someone around who can help you out.

Angela

Angela Report 26 Aug 2018 16:15

Thank you very much for your help.
Will have a look .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2018 17:08

When was he born?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2018 17:11

This is the only Wm George I can see in 1911, and he's not married

Farrel John 52 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Derry Agricultural Labourer Read and write - Married - - - -
Farrel Sarah 39 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Derry - Read and write - Married - 16 9 9
Farrel Marfie Annie 19 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Derry Dress Maker Read and write - Single - - - -
Farrel Wm George 16 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Derry Agricultural Labourer Read and write - Single - - - -
Farrel Sarah Jane 14 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Derry Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
Farrel Mary 12 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Derry Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
Farrel Maggie C 10 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Derry Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
Farrel John E 7 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Derry Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
Farrel Patk Joseph 5 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Derry Scholar Read and write - - - - - -
Farrel Nellie 2 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Derry - Read and write - - - - - -
Farrel Michael Male Son Roman Catholic Co Derry - Read and write -

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2018 17:13

Same family in 1901

Farrell John 40 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Londonderry Farmer Read and write - Married -
Farrell Sarah 30 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Londonderry House Keeper Read and write - Married -
Farrell Margerry S 9 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Londonderry Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Farrell William G 6 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Londonderry Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Farrell Sarah J 4 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Londonderry Scholar Cannot read - Not Married -
Farrell Mary 1 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Londonderry - Cannot read - Not Married -
Doherty Sarah 60 Female Mother in Law Roman Catholic Co Londonderry - Read and write - Widow

Angela

Angela Report 26 Aug 2018 18:44

Thank you Erika H.
Where did you find information?
Think my information was incorrect, but correct family, so would like to trace family further back in census.
Thank you for your help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2018 19:00

The Irish censuses for 1901 and 1911 are free

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

For BMD's try

www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32&Itemid=117

Lots of Irish info on familysearch site also.

How did you work back to William?

Angela

Angela Report 26 Aug 2018 19:35

Had one of his children, Elsie Irene who was my son in laws great grandmother. Will look, and hopefully find out more information.
Many thanks for your help.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Aug 2018 20:19

If you want help from members at any time, just come back with some date and location info for the direct line

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Aug 2018 21:45

Angela -

you said " . . would like to trace family further back in census."

There aren't any Irish census records before 1901, apart from some bits from 1851 and earlier.

But you'll see that from the link Erika posted.

Maureen

Maureen Report 27 Aug 2018 00:02

10th March 1895 Birth Record
Colerane Parish Co Derry

William George Farrell

Father John Farrell mother Sarah Doherty
Sponsors George Doherty and Annie Doherty

Note on record William George married Catherine McNulty 21 April 1924

1901 Census above, Sarah's mother is also named Sarah (Doherty) living with the family.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 27 Aug 2018 16:28

What year was Elsie born?