Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Findmypast

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Norma

Norma Report 29 Aug 2018 19:00

I have just had an email from Findmypast advising that they are going to deny access to already purchased records unless you have a valid subscription.
I have sent a email to them saying how appalled I am thy they are denying previous members who will have such a lot of saved records.
Just think it is pure greed
A very disgruntled Norma

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2018 19:04

Unfortunately, Norma, you'll find the other main FH sites do the same eg
- Genesreunited.
- Ancestry.

Its always wise to download images to your own device while you have access, then upload them to the site in question. Sadly, in your case, its too late to act on the advice.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 29 Aug 2018 19:30

Good advice from +++DetEcTive+++ regarding downloading the images. Personally, I print hard copies too and file them. That way if any future generations of the family become interested in the family history they can inherit my research (all neatly and carefully indexed, hopefully) when I shuffle off this mortal coil. I'll have to hang around a bit longer though as I am still working on the index.

Norma

Norma Report 29 Aug 2018 20:26

Hi all
i have just had an email from Findmypast and they said that the list of of viewed records within my records is safe so think this new regime may only apply to new records you may have during future subscriptions
This shows part of that email

The list of records you have viewed is safe within "My records" also, so you will still be able to keep track of the records you have viewed, and have easy access if you choose to subscribe again in future

Bit happier now thanks for your comments
Norma

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 29 Aug 2018 21:56

I have had a similar email, but as I always print off hard copies of everything I didn't take much notice.

I read it as saying that the list of records will still be there, but that you will only be able to view them if you take out a subscription.

As others have said, I would download them in the next couple of days, while you still can.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2018 22:02

If you've read various random 'look-up' posts on the boards, you'd occasionally see a 'helper' quote from a tree on Ancestry but add that the events aren't sourced.
That's usually because the tree owner has allowed their subscription to lapse.

If they renew, the sources 'magically' reappear. It sounds very much like what happens on FMP.

Norma

Norma Report 30 Aug 2018 08:10

Thank you for all your comments,like most of you I have hard copies of all my records as I have a large file for each family,but I find the My Records useful for The 1939 Register as redacted records will become visible when that record reaches 100 or FMP have sourced the death record which has happened to me on several occasions when I have revisited these records.
Ancestry had a free weekend for The 1939 Register a couple of months back and I found a couple of records on their site that I had not found on FMP,so that weekend was really useful to me.