Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharon

Sharon Report 14 Oct 2018 14:34

I have found he birth certificate of a family member born in 1910 which I thought would give me the mothers maiden name. Unfortunately it didn't. Does this happen often?

malyon

malyon Report 14 Oct 2018 14:42

could it be the mother was not married if you can give the name on the birth certificate we might be able to help

greyghost

greyghost Report 14 Oct 2018 14:47

Welcome to the boards Sharon.

Do you actually mean the certificate or have you found the birth in an online index only?

Try this site - you have to register, but free to use (or give details of birth and someone can look for you.

It gives mmn from Q3 1837 to 1917 and age at death from Q3 1837 to 1957.

No mmn shown generally indicates that no Father was named on the certificate

Freebmd and other online indexes only have mmn from Q3 1911 and age at death after 1866 ish

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp

Sharon

Sharon Report 14 Oct 2018 15:02

Thank you.

I have the record transcription. Doesn't seem to tell me much. Just the birth year and district of birth.

malyon

malyon Report 14 Oct 2018 15:18

we could look if you give the name

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Oct 2018 15:34

Mmn wasn't added the index till 1911

But the GRO is running an extended trial where you can see the mmn

You can take a look at

www.gro.gov.uk

Or post the info you have and we can take a look

Sharon

Sharon Report 14 Oct 2018 15:38

It seems that mother's maiden name has only been put on birth certificates since 1911. Thanks anyway.
:-)

malyon

malyon Report 14 Oct 2018 15:56

have you looked for the birth in gro web site gives mothers name before 1911 this is my family you will see mothers name given its 1860 birth

Mother's Maiden Surname: Order:
PERKINS, JOSEPH MARK WALLIS Order
GRO Reference: 1860 D Quarter in OF HOLBORN Volume 01B Page 484

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Oct 2018 15:56

Mother's maiden name was always on the actual certificate, but was only started to be logged on the GRO Index in 1911.

If you go to the GRO site as suggested and register FREE you can look up the mother's maiden name of anyone whose birth was on the GRO index, even before 1911.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Oct 2018 16:21

No the mothers maiden is on all birth certs

It's just that the indexes don't show it till sept qtr 1911

Give us the name and we can find it for you

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Oct 2018 16:27

Look for it on the site greyghost gave you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Oct 2018 17:59

You have to buy the full certificate to see all the details. Mother's maiden name is given on all birth certificates since the beginning of civil registration which began in July 1837.

Look at the GRO website that has already been suggested and you will find the mother's maiden name and then you can look for a marriage between the two surnames on the certificate.

Kath. x

Sharon

Sharon Report 14 Oct 2018 18:54

Ok. I will try again. Thank you. :-)

Sharon

Sharon Report 16 Oct 2018 09:58

I have used the gro gov site suggested and found the information i was looking for. Thank you for your help. :-D