Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO Birth certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Nov 2018 03:31

Has anyone else ordered birth certificates recently?

My daughters needed replacement long birth certificates, which have recently arrived.

We were surprised to see that they are copies of the actual register, ie. my signature on one and my husband's on the other are clearly recognisable.

Is this the usual way now or is it just for relatively recent births?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 4 Nov 2018 10:18

I think it just depends on when and where the certificates are registered. I have had them that are just typed copies or written copies but also had them that are a photocopy of the entry. It's always a bonus to get the actual signatures of ancestors.

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Nov 2018 05:33

Thank you for replying Kath.

I have bought many birth certificates over years of research, but this was the first time that they were photo-copies of the original.

As you say, always a bonus to have actual copies of signatures, although this time they were very familiar !