Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA confused

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 8 Jan 2019 02:54

Hi,
Somewhere I read that you do not need a subscription to Ancestry to use them to find matches for your DNA results. However, I cannot see any method of getting onto the site without subscribing in order to have a tree on there.
Am I thick or not?
I'm procrastinating re getting my wife tested.
Thanks,
BtW

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Jan 2019 06:28

Well I have ancestry account with my tree on there
Had my DNA done and it comes up with possible matches lots of whom haven't got a tree

I have messaged several and we have found a common match

If you have a tree and are connected with someone who has a tree you can check the surnames to see if you have any common ones

For instance one of my possible connections had the surname philbrick in it

We emailed each other and yes indeed we were connected
One of my ancestors married a widow named phillbrick in1852 and I am descended from one of their children , the other party is descended from a child of her first marriage .
So it does work

It also matched me to others who I know we are connected anyway as we have already been in touch

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Jan 2019 10:51

Take out a free 14 day trial on Ancestry to create an account. They will probably want credit card details. Make sure you cancel a couple of days before the trial ends. Just like GR, a free member can access their tree but can’t access records, even though they might previously done so.
You can have as many trees on there as you like.

Their fb page visitors posts does suggest there are problems linking 2 different DNA results on the same account. If that should be the case, you could open a second account in your wife’s name. There’s unlikely to be a problem if only your wife is tested.

Kense

Kense Report 8 Jan 2019 11:10

You can download the raw DNA results to the gedmatch website https://www.gedmatch.com
That will give you plenty of matches.

There is a warning about the possible use of data for non genealogical purposes.