Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding second spouse to family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

candide44

candide44 Report 6 Feb 2019 16:04

Hi,
Could anyone advise me how to add a second spouse to someone on the family tree? I thought I had done so but find the second family with wife and children are "floating unattached" so do I have to delete and re-enter the entire branch of the family?

Thanks for any help,

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Feb 2019 16:23

I assume you're talking about a tree on GR?

DON'T delete the second spouse and family.

On "Immediate family" view, click on the "someone" who has the second spouse.

Click "Add", then click "Spouse".

Click "Find existing".

Start typing the spouse's name, then pick the right person from the drop-down list which will appear.

Click "Save".

candide44

candide44 Report 6 Feb 2019 17:40

Brilliant - thanks for understanding the problem, you have saved me so much hassle!!

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 7 Feb 2019 11:52

However you will find that if the second spouse is older than the first, the second will be listed first. The only way to get the second spouse in second place is to change their DOB to after the first's. make a note of the correct DOB in notes.

candide44

candide44 Report 21 Oct 2019 20:00

Thanks to both for your explanations!