Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cannot export GRDCOM file

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 22 Feb 2019 11:25

Hello,
Apologies if you are seeing this for the 2nd time. I was interrupted when sending it last time and am not sure if it was posted.

My problem is that I have been trying to export my GEDCOM file for 6 days and always get the message:
"Your tree is currently being processed. Please wait until your tree returns to the ready state before exporting another GEDCOM file".
I have sent a query to genesreunited.co.uk/help/contactus but don't seem to have received a reply.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Bill.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Feb 2019 11:31

Welcome to the boards, Bill.

No, you haven’t posted twice.

As for the gedcom download, it’s better if you contact GR by email at
[email protected]

Occasionally the download gets ‘hung up’. They can reset it so that you can try again.

Support aims to reply to emails within 3 working days which excludes the weekend.
Are you on Facebook? Sometimes they reply more quickly if you post on there.

William

William Report 22 Feb 2019 11:36

Many thanks, I will take your advice and send an email!

William

William Report 22 Feb 2019 11:42

Hello again,
I just noticed that you recommend contacting via facebook.
Yes, I'm on facebook, but I see two possible groups:
- Genes Reunited
and
- genesreunited united
Which one should I join or use please?

Many thanks!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Feb 2019 13:07

Genes Reunited. It's the one with photos of a lamps on a bridge, A lady standing on top of a van & a WW2 helicopter and St Paul's Cathedral surrounded by rubble.
It's rather neglected by admin, but you might get a response.

You could also consider posting on the Findmypast facebook page. They are sister companies. We get the impression that FMP support also deal with GR support correspondence & queries.
The genuine FMP page has their logo of white writing in a green circle. Lower case find my past as separate words. There's a circle made up of 9 small circles enclosing (p)ast

William

William Report 25 Feb 2019 22:10

Hello,
Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.
I didn't post on Facebook because it looks like there's been no activity since 2016!
I did send an email to [email protected] on the 22nd, but have had no reply. Do you have a phone number for the support team please?
I've now been trying to export the GEDCOM for 10 days!
Many thanks, Bill.

greyghost

greyghost Report 25 Feb 2019 22:51

Support aims to reply within 3 working days i.e. Monday to Friday, so if you didn't post until Friday, the earliest you might expect a reply would be Tuesday or even Wednesday.

googling brings up this site -
http://uk.customersunion.org/genes-reunited/phonenumbers/

which gives this number for GR's Customer Service
tel:08456037788

William

William Report 26 Feb 2019 14:06

Thanks for your help.
I discovered GR's response in my junk folder (sorry for not looking there).
However, they still haven't solved the problem, but at least I have started a dialogue with them.

By the way, the number 08456037788 is no longer connected. There is a message saying that it is no longer in use.
I tried another number that I googled: 02033266300. That gets me through to FindMyPast who were very helpful and offered to contact GR for me as they are 'sister sites'.
Thanks again for your help. Best wishes, Bill.