Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name spelt wrong

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 4 Mar 2019 22:43

How can I get my Nans name changed in the records, who ever has typed up the original document has misread the 1911 census and written Belda, instead of Hilda, it has made finding it hard. Can mistakes be corrected ?
Susan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Mar 2019 23:07

There’s different methods for different sites. Where did you find the transcription error? Have you checked the image? The instructions to transcribers are always ‘type what you see’ not what you think.

As the 1911 images were completed, in the majority of cases, by the householder, there aren’t many examples of that particular handwriting to compare.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Mar 2019 05:50

If the mistake is on records found on GR, then you cannot correct by contacting GR ........... their census records are taken from FindMyPast (sister site owned by the same company).

You have to contact FMP to see if they will make the change.

Be aware that the transcriber HAD to write what they read.

Is it very clearly Hilda on the image?

If it is not, then the only way you can get a site (FMP or Ancestry) is to state in your reason for change "this is my grandmother and her name is Hilda xxxxxx" ........... where xxxxxx = her surname.

As DET says, the 1911 Census was filled out by the householder, so you can blame her relation (father, mother or husband)!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Mar 2019 10:59

Can you give the surname please. The only Belda that I can find in the 1911 census on Findmypast is a "Belda Hedley" in Easington. The actual image has her as Bella though and not Hilda.

If this is not the one you are looking at just let us know who it is you're looking for.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Mar 2019 12:45

The typed records are only transcriptions, for which errors can be notified - the originals cannot be changed.

Give us exact details of the record you are looking at - and the website you are using

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Mar 2019 13:11

Ancestry's transcriptions of 1911 have a Bilda Farrer, 1884, born Halifax, who is actually Hilda. I've sent a correction.

Also a Bilda May Davies, 1902, born Battersea - someone has already corrected that to Hilda.

Another is Bilda Farthing, 1893, born Bourton, Dorset. That one does look like Bilda on the image, but she's Hilda on the 1901 census.

Ancestry also has a couple of Belta's (one of whom is really Betta) and a Beld.