Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing birth information

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rose

Rose Report 9 Apr 2019 11:31

Hallo all experts whereevere you may be, I am slowly gettin desperate, well certainl frustrated! I am trying to find the birth details of my paternal grandmother, but after searches with name variations, census records etc. I have reached a complete dead end. It would help tremendously if I could view a copy of my grandfather's marriage certificate, not just a transcript which has the remark that my grandfather married one of 5 different people! How can I get a copy of the said CERTIFICATE. The GRO UK site does not seem to let me search for marriage certificates, only birth and death certificates. Hope someone can help, thanks in advance Rose :-( :-S

Mary

Mary Report 9 Apr 2019 11:41

If you could post names,ages areas which they lived etc we may be able to help.

Maryb.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 11:51

freebmd is the place to look for marriage registration

https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

BUT...........post the details and we'll try to help

You can't generally view certs without buying copies, although there are exceptions in certain counties

Rose

Rose Report 9 Apr 2019 11:55

Dear Mary, Thanks so much for your offer to help. My grandfather's name was Eberhart Fimpel and he was married in London in 1907 and the 2 interesting names given out by my search were: Margaret Ann Veronica Cecilia Cressy or Margaret Ann Veronica Cecilia Foster (obviously one and the same person) The name Foster was known to us grandchildren as my grandmother's maiden name and was the name unde rwhich she became an English cycle champion record holder in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The name Cressy only became known to us when we viewed my father's birth certificate. Two shortened versions i.e. Maggie Cressy and Maggie Foster were also listed on the transcript of my grandfather's marriage data. The Margaret's (Maggie's) birth year were given as 1876 and place of birth as Yorkshire, but as I said, further searches on my part have just lead to a dead end. My father's birth certificate does not help and neither do the census records. Once again many thanks, Rose

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Apr 2019 12:08

You could buy a copy of the marriage certificate using the reference given below:-

First name(s) EBERHART R H
Last name FIMPEL
Marriage quarter 3
Marriage year 1907
Registration month -
MarriageFinder ™

EBERHART R H FIMPEL married one of these people

Maggie Cressey, Harold Snell Kippin, Margaret Ann Foster, Margaret Ann Cressey, Maggie Foster, Ethel Tong

District St. George Hanover Square
District number -
County London
Country England
Volume 1A
Volume as transcribed 1A
Page number 1179
Record set England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005

Just use your grandfather's name and DO NOT give the bride's name. It will cost you £11 (I think this is the correct amount as certificates have recently gone up in price).

Perhaps your grandmother was born as Foster but lived with someone called Cressey before she married your grandfather and was therefore known by both names which is why both names were recorded in the marriage index.

These births are the only likely ones I can see for your grandmother:-

Foster Margaret Ann 1875 — 1875 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Aysgarth, Yorkshire, England

Foster Margaret Ann 1876 — 1876 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Darlington, Durham, England
Foster Margaret Ann 1877 — 1877 England & Wales Births 1837-2006 Selby, Yorkshire, England (This birth is nearest to Hull which is where she says she was born in the 1911 census).

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 12:10

Posting for INFO

36, Alderney Street, St George Hanover Square, London & Middlesex, England

John Fimpel Head Married Male 38 1843 Waiter Germany
Marie Fimpel Wife Married Female 37 1844 - Germany
Marie Fimpel Daughter Single Female 6 1875 Scholar City of London, Middlesex, England
Eberhart Fimpel Son Single Male 5 1876 Scholar City of London, Middlesex, England
Augusta Burran Lodger Single Female 50 1831 No Occ Pimlico, Middlesex, England
George H Brown Lodger Head Married Male 27 1854 Clerk Railway Windsor, Berkshire, England
Harriet E Brown Wife Married Female 30 1851 - St Peter Port, Guernsey, Channel Islands

1911 Census For England & Wales
53 Albert Palace Mansions Lurline Gardens Battersea S W, Battersea, London & Surrey, England

Eberhart Fimpel Head Married Male 35 1876 Assistant Manager Of A Thetrea London Pinlico
Margaret Fimpel Wife Married Female 35 1876 Housekeeper Yorks Hull
John Fimpel Son - Male 0 1911 - London Battersea
Lucretis Hay Servant Single Female 23 1888 Nurse Domestic Lancs Bolton
Martha Smith Servant Single Female 40 1871 General Servant Domestic London City

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 12:11

FIMPEL, JOHN EBERHART (MMN) CRESSY
GRO Reference: 1910 S Quarter in WANDSWORTH Volume 01D Page 448

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 12:12

Name: Eberhart Fimpel
Birth Date: 23 Dec 1875
Admission Date: 10 Sep 1883
School: St Michael's School
Father: John Fimpel
Notes: Non-provided school (0418): previously known as Saint Michael's National School until 1907, (the term National was no longer used after that date)

Rose

Rose Report 9 Apr 2019 12:16

Thanks ErikaH, please read thread above, it gives the important information in a nutshell. I will certainly check the thread you have given. Will report if I have any luck.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 12:19

Unfortunately, the marriage isn't one of those for which the cert can be viewed on Ancestry. You will have to buy a copy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 12:20

I HAVE read your post - IN FULL

Please read mine, where I stated I was posting for INFO

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Apr 2019 12:30

MRS. FIMPEL
MRS. FIMPEL The new manager’s wife, Mrs. Fimpel, has also interesting theatrical career, having held the position of managing housekeeper to some of the principal London theatres. She will assist her husband in certain departments of the Theatre. ...." " Mrs Fimpel, whose maiden name was Foster...."

09 April 1932 - Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate & Cheriton Herald - Folkestone

Rose

Rose Report 9 Apr 2019 12:32

Dear All, Thank you all so much for your hard work, I have to say that I have myself found all the references you have also found and they have still lead to a dead end as far as my grandmother's real name and place of birth is concerned. I am coming to the conclusion that somewhere along the line my grandmother changed her name twice and we just do not know her real birth name. The Census Records (1891 and 1901) have provided a few details which I think must refer to her, but they too are conflicting and the ages of the parties contradict one another. The BMD link unfortunately did not help either. I have not yet given up hope completely and will battle on regardless.

Rose

Rose Report 9 Apr 2019 12:37

Dear Rambling, I must confess that I am bowled over by the help that has been given. I found the newspaper archives reports from Folkestone and the fact that hermaiden name is given as Foster, but sadly I still cannot find her birth details. It is very frustrating.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 12:39

Unless you buy the marriage cert, you will be forever wondering

Some things are simply not available without cost - in this case, £11.00

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Apr 2019 12:40

For birth qtr, in case it helps narrow it down ( it is Fimpel on image)

Fimbel Household (2 People)
58 Hollingbourne Road , Camberwell, London, England

Margaret Fimbel 14 Feb 1876 Female Theatre Manager Married 37 2
Eberhard Fimbel 23 Dec 1875 Male Theatre Manager Married 37 1

Rose

Rose Report 9 Apr 2019 12:41

Dear Erika, You really have done a tremendous amount of research for me, I do appreciate it. Please tell me where I can buy the certificate mentioned. I tried to use the GRO UK site, but could only find the section for researching and buying Birth and Death certificates. Do you have another tip for me.

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Apr 2019 12:47

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/app_select.asp

use the details of registration as per Erika's post ( also on FMP)

FIMPEL Eberhart B H St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 1179

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 12:56

Fimbel Household (2 People)
58 Hollingbourne Road , Camberwell, London, England

Eberhard Fimbel 23 Dec 1875 Male Theatre Manager Married 37 1
Margaret Fimbel 14 Feb 1876 Female Theatre Manager Married 37 2

Rambling

Rambling Report 9 Apr 2019 13:02

In case you don't have it, probate records for both, 1945 for Eberhard, 1946 for Margaret , are on https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills