Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing birth information

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rose

Rose Report 9 May 2019 10:45

Dear ArgyllGran, This researching business is really fascinating, but it can be so frustrating. No record of Maggie Cressey's birth has, to date, been found. I wonder if it ever will. Probably not and we grandchildren will regret not being more interested in our family history whilst family members were still around who knew more and could enlighten us. Thanks all the same for your trouble.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 May 2019 21:55

Death of Kate ???

Deaths Dec 1894 (>99%)
Cressey Catherine 37 Sculcoates 9d 124

Rose

Rose Report 6 May 2019 20:21

Thanks safc, I had also found the marriage report that you mentioned. Maggie was born in 1876, but no matter how hard I (and others) search, a record of Maggie's birth can't be found.

safc

safc Report 6 May 2019 19:38

Marriages Mar 1876 (>99%)

BATTY John Hull 9d 430
Campbell Kate Hull 9d 430 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cressey William Daniel Hull 9d 430 xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shepherdson Sarah Ann Hull 9d 430

Yorkshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1876
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
CRESSEY William Daniel CAMPBELL Kate Hull Register Offices or Registrar Attended Hull HRO/19/78

Rose

Rose Report 6 May 2019 18:34

Dear ArgyllGran, Like you I could not find any information about a George Morphew. There were plenty of Morphew but no George that fitted the bill. I will have to leave the family history with blank spaces and question marks.

Rose

Rose Report 6 May 2019 18:30

Dear mgnv, Eberhart's father is named as John (I think probably Anglicised from the German Johan or Johannes) and his profession as Restaurant Manager, which is what we know. Maggie's father is given as William Daniel Cressey (deceased) and profession as Master Ship's Carpenter.. Thanks for the information about the use of the word sister-in-law. I have learnt something new.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 May 2019 14:37

Also, after much hunting and trying all sorts of alternatives, I can't find any other sign of the "nephew" George Morphew, who is with the Fosters and Margaret Cressey in 1891.
Born 1875 in Lincolnshire, according to the census.

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 May 2019 05:02

Rose, on the m.cert, who did Maggie and Eberhart list as their fathers and what were their occupations?

As a point of interest, pre-WW1, the relationship sister-in-law included the modern meaning, but it also included the relationship we now call step-sister (sim for bother/ son/ daughter/ mother/ father).

Rose

Rose Report 3 May 2019 12:59

My last posting is quite some time ago, but it took ages for the certificate I ordered from the GRO to arrive. What with their posting policy and public holidays on both sides of the Channel I only got the long awaited certificate yesterday and I feel that I owe it to all of you, who so kindly went to so much trouble to help me, to bring you up to date. I am no further than I was to finding-out where my grandmother was born, but I do have confirmation that Maggie Cressey and Maggie Foster are one and the same person, so the record-breaking cyclist is indeed my grandmother. The certificate states "Margaret Ann Veronica Cecilia Cressey otherwise Margaret Ann Veronica Cecilia Foster". How Magie Cressey came to be known as Maggie Foster will probably remain a secret forever. I have my suspicions. Her father's name does not help either. His name is listed quite a few times in the various categories available for searching, but none of the given dates fit. I am now (more or less) convinced that Maggie Cressey was not born in the UK and my tip is, she was born in Ireland, but that is pure speculation on my part. Once again thank you all for your help. If I do manage to unearth any more information, I will, of course, let you know. Rose

Rose

Rose Report 14 Apr 2019 11:19

Dear Quinsgran, Thanks for your trouble and your tip. I had checked the image and the writing is easy to read, the transcription is correct. It is now a waiting game to see what the copy of the marriage certificate I have ordered from the GRO brings to lite. Have a good day. Rose

Quinsgran

Quinsgran Report 14 Apr 2019 10:37

Rose did you check the image on the1901 census. If the writing isn’t clear the transcriber may have put the wrong ages

Rose

Rose Report 11 Apr 2019 18:26

Goodness Austin, I had, in fact found the census entry for 1891, noting that George is listed as bicycle maker and that a Maggie Cressey dob1876 is listed as "cousin" and George has a wife. Maggie's dob is the one we know. Census 1901 lists George - bicycle manufacturer still in Coldharbour Lane with a different dob, no longer 1851 but 1866, there is no mention of a wife, but Maggie Cressey is still there, but now 30 years old and not 25 as would be expected taking the 1891 census entry. She Is now listed as sister in law!! The mind boggles and I have my suspicions. I am sure that you have found the right shop. I would certainly never have found it, I would not know where to look. Many thanks. I continue to delve and dig and hope to find the truth in the end. I and my brothers are all kicking ourselves that we did not ask more about our grandparents when our parents were alive. But that's kids for you.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 11 Apr 2019 16:37

Hi Rose, doesn't help at the moment, (and you may already have it), but worth noting that George was living at Commerce Place, Cold Harbour lane in 1891- there are several ads placed in 1886 that may be connected to George:-

South London Chronicle - Saturday 26 June 1886

FOSTER & COLLEY
Bicycle and Tricycle Makers
4 Commerce Place, Loughborough Junction
Bicycles, Tricycles and Perambulators Bought, Sold, Exchanged, Repaired and On Hire. Lamps, Bells &c

Rose

Rose Report 10 Apr 2019 15:16

Dear ArgyllGran, You too have been busy on my behalf, my thanks. I found most of the newspaper reports myself. I think that Eberhart and Maggie returned to London after their stay in Folkestone. Work in the theatre world was not for ever and contracts were usually for a limited period of time. I know that my grandparents had to survive periods of unemployment. Maggie met Eberhart at the Gaiety Theatre in London where they were both employed. Another cycling record that Maggie held was for London to Brighton and back. We don't know where George Foster comes into the picture.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Apr 2019 12:34

Perhaps she met Eberhart at something like this ??

THE MUSIC HALL SPORTS AT HERNE HILL: The Humorous Side of Athletics

... THE MUSIC HALL SPORTS AT HERNE HILL The Humorous Side of Athletics The annual sports in aid of the Music Hall Benevolent Fund always attract a large gate,' greatly to the benefit of a most deserving institution. This year the artistes and their friends ...
Published: Wednesday 13 July 1904
Newspaper: The Bystander
County: London, England

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Apr 2019 12:16

Report of Maggie's cycling triumph -

... Miss M. Foster cycled mile, paced, with a fly art Heme Kill on Friday 2min. 12see, bea'ing Miss Andrews' previous best of 17 3-se«ss.

Published: Saturday 20 September 1902
Newspaper: Coventry Evening Telegraph
County: Warwickshire, England

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Apr 2019 12:05

Looking at other newspaper reports, Eberhart (apparently also known as Edward) was manager of the Pleasure Gardens Theatre from 1932 until ??.
There are a number of reports in the Sandgate & Cheriton Herald - here are just a few.
I don't see any reports after 1834 - but no report of the Fimpels leaving Folkestone. They seem to have been well liked and involved in the community, according to various reports.

Maggie was a world record cyclist in 1902! Doubtless connected to the fact that George Foster was a bicycle manufacturer.

APPOINTMENT OF LONDON MAN

... APPOINTMENT OF LONDON MAN Mr. E. Fimpel, ot Herne Hill, London, lias been appointed Manager the Pleasure Gardens Theatre, Folkestone, and he will take over his duties in the course of the next week or so. Mr. Finipei is a man of great capability ami ...
Published: Saturday 02 April 1932

r«lllk orth,«c Tioiwiim
... pleasure to me to meet Mr. Fimpel, the new manager of the theatre, and Mrs. Fimpel on Wednesday evening. I noticed many little improvements about the place which, 1 sure, patrons will appreciate. “Business is very good,” Mr. Fimpel told me. “I have been ...
Published: Saturday 30 April 1932

TO TAKE OVER ON MONDAY
... TO TAKE OVER ON MONDAY Mr. Edward Fimpel, the newly appointed Manager the Folkestone Pleasure Gardens Theatre, will take over his duties at the Theatre on Monday next. The new manager, who comes from Herne Hill, London, has had vast experience in the ...
Published: Saturday 09 April 1932

Continued from preceding column
... Continued from preceding column. Although it has no connection with Mrs, Fimpel’s theatrical work, it i 8 nevertheless interesting to note that in 1902 she broke the world’s record for cycling when she cycled 30 miles 168 yards in one hour. She has gold ...
Published: Saturday 09 April 1932

Rose

Rose Report 10 Apr 2019 12:03

Dear Gwyn, Thanks so much for your offer to help, but there is a very logical explanation. The article appeared in the Folkestone, Hythe, Sandgate and Cheriton Herold in the early 1930s (I found it myself quite a while ago). It is a report about my grandfather taking over the management of the Pleasure Garden Theatre in Folkestone. I knew from my father that he had done so. I must now play the waiting game until the marriage certificate turns up. Once again many thanks.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Apr 2019 10:41

Why was there a report in a newspaper local to a small area of the south coast of Kent?

If you want me to investigate this further, I can go into Folkestone library, if you wish.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Apr 2019 19:02

:-D