Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Samuel Butler of Weeley, Essex 1826 - 1886

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 7 May 2019 23:09

Is anyone able to help in my research on the above? I have found reference to Samuel Butler in the newspaper archives but do not have access to them as part of my subscription. There seem to be several articles including his name and reference to him as a newsagent spanning the 1860s, 70s and possibly the early 80s. Some of the articles suggest that he was the victim of assault and there are other references.
If anyone with access is able to help I would be very grateful.Many thanks.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 May 2019 00:04

John Jaggard was summoned for assaulting Samuel Buttler at Weeley on 7th March 1865. Fined 6d. and costs 13s. 6d. or one month's hard labour. A fortnight was allowed for payment.

The other articles are a bit long for me to type out but one was a case of Samuel being the victim of a pickpocket - but the accused, a 15 year old called George Fowler, was discharged.

Another is a death entry - Samuel died 17th June, 1886 aged 60.

Samuel married Mary Ann the second daughter of the late Mr. D. King of Great Oakley on 23rd Sept. 1862.

Hope this helps. Perhaps someone else can forward you the images.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2019 11:46

In case you don't have them - censuses

East Street, Weeley, Tendring, Essex, England
John Butler Male 42 1799 Essex, England
Mary Butler Female 43 1798 Essex, England
William Butler Male 21 1820 Essex, England
Samuel Butler Male 15 1826 Essex, England

Street, Weeley, Tendring, Essex, England
John Butler Head Married Male 51 1800 Porter Thorp, Essex, England
Mary Butler Wife Married Female 54 1797 - Wix, Essex, England
Samuel Butler Son Unmarried Male 25 1826 - Wix, Essex, England

Street, Weeley, Tendring, Essex, England
John Butlers Head Married Male 63 1798 Carter Thorpe, Essex, England
Mary Butlers Wife Married Female 66 1795 - Wike, Yorkshire, England
Samuel Butlers Son - Male 35 1826 - Weeley, Essex, England
Eliza Butlers Granddaughter - Female 10 1851 - Weeley, Essex, England

BUTLER, ELIZA (MMN) CRESWELL
GRO Reference: 1850 S Quarter in TENDRING Volume 12 Page 287

High Street, Weeley, Tendring, Essex, England
Samuel Butler Head - Male 45 1826 - Essex, England *Newsvendor* BLIND
Mary A Butler Wife - Female 36 1835 - Essex, England
Mary M Butler Daughter - Female 7 1864 - Essex, England
Matilda Butler Daughter - Female 4 1867 - Essex, England

20, Weeley Street, Weeley, Tendring, Essex, England
Samuel Butler Head Married Male 55 1826 Newsagent Weeley, Essex, England *** Partially blind from birth***
Mary A Butler Wife Married Female 47 1834 - Great Oakley, Essex, England
Matilda Butler Daughter Single Female 14 1867 Scholar Weeley, Essex, England
Maria M Cooper Visitor Married Female 17 1864 - Weeley, Essex, England
Annie M Cooper Visitor Single Female 0 1881 - Weeley, Essex, England
Susannah Howard Visitor Single Female 16 1865 - Thorrington, Essex, England

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2019 11:56

The report about the pickpocket was published in July 1864

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2019 11:59

Not sure if this is the same Samuel Butler

......certain posts, within 15 feet of the centre of I the said carriage or cart-wav.—Mr. fl. Jones appeared for defendant.—Samuel Butler, agent, was the Complainant in the ease.—After long hearing, at its close the Chairman said : We have considered this case
03 March 1874 - Essex Herald - Chelmsford, Essex, England

Can't help with images - FMP have decided to require an upgrade to view Newspapers & periodicals

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 May 2019 12:00

Another one - he's the perpetrator this time

The Bench consider the conduct of the police in this case highly creditable. \i_ht Poaching and Assaulting the Police Samuel Butler, nevvsvendor, of Weeley, was summoned for assaulting Mr. John Desborough Pearson Walford-Gosnall, farmer, of Bentley, Suffolk
05 August 1882 - Essex Standard - Colchester, Essex, England

Kayak

Kayak Report 8 May 2019 14:55

Essex Halfpenny Newsman 14th September 1878

Alleged Assult:- Thomas Skeet, labourer, was summoned for assulting Samuel Butler, newsvendor, Weeley, on 25th August.- The case was an unimportant one and in the result the bench bound all the parties over to keep the peace towards each other for six months

Chelmsford Chronicle 4/8/1882

Weeley: Samuel Butler, labourer, of Weeley was summoned by Mr J Walford Gosnall for assulting him on Monday last. It appeared that there was a board outside the defendant's garden, which the prosecutor's horse would not pass. Mr Gosnall got out of his trap and threw it over into Butler's garden, upon which Butler rushed out and struck at the prosecutor, who warded the blow off with his arm. - Fined 2s 6d. A week allowed for payment.

Maddie

Maddie Report 8 May 2019 15:41

Deaths
Butler.—June 17, aged 60, Samuel Butler, news ageot, of Weeley, Essex. .. . Barhkr.—June 23, at Sudbury Workhouse, James Barber, farm labourer, of Borley, aged 79 years. Collett.—June 24, at 2, Caraden-croscent, Dover, the Bth year of her age
30 June 1886 - Suffolk and Essex Free Press - Sudbury, Suffolk, England

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries
daughter of Mr. Charles Clarke, of Ipsvichi BuTLER-KING.-23rd inst., at St. Andrew's Church, Weeley, Essex, by the Rev. William Thorpe, rector, Mr. Samuel Butler, news-agent, to Mary Ann, second daughter of the late Mr. Daniel King, of Great Oakley, in
27 September 1862 - The Ipswich Journal - Ipswich, Suffolk, England

Kense

Kense Report 9 May 2019 16:04

Samuel Butler son of Mary & John a cordwainer of Weeley, was baptised 12 Sep 1825 at St Andrew's Weeley.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2019 20:31

Sent PM on 18th advising of replies.

Julia responded that she had seen them all and would be posting a thank you 'in a day or two'

Julia

Julia Report 22 May 2019 14:51

Many thanks for all the help I have received. My research has been considerably furthered.