Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Liverpool Newspaper Look Up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maureen

Maureen Report 20 May 2019 20:48

Iam searching for the obituary/death notice for 4 sisters all died in Liverpool, can I ask if anyone has access to the notices.

Minnie Lambert nee Carr died 1991
Olive Stanley nee Carr died 2000
Hazel Goff nee Carr died 2004
Violet Weeks nee Carr died 2006

Thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 May 2019 08:59

These deaths are too recent to be included in any subscription site - try an internet search as we would. iannounce (+ Liverpool) is a good search term as it throws up other related sites.

Don't be disappointed if there's no result. The majority of families don't announce family deaths in the papers.

Minnie seems to have been recorded as Minna Lambert on Findmypast.
Born 20 Jan 1923 - death reg 2nd quarter 1991

Olive Stanley's estate went to probate. Her date of death is given as 11 Sep 2000

Hazel Goff's estate also went to probate - dod 17 December 2004

Violet Weeks death reg Nov 2006. Born 9 Jan 1915.

Probate calendar if estates went to probate
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2019 09:27

Look at:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/

Maureen

Maureen Report 21 May 2019 19:53

Thank you both for your replies, i may have to try accessing old newspaper copies around the dates of deaths.

Here in Merseyside area most people place death notices/obituaries in papers, very often that's the first page people turn to when they get the paper, maybe an age thing to see if you recognise a name !

I will also look at the links you have given.

Best Wishes

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 May 2019 20:23

As you live in the area, the main library would be a good place to start

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 May 2019 23:58

Unless you already now the exact date of death, look for Minnie/Minnas from 21 March to the last week in June. The informant would have had 10 days to register the death.
Similarly Violet could have died mid Oct.

The newspaper notices are probably as much a family tradition as a regional one. None of our recent (20+ years) family deaths have been announced that way. We consider it a private affair & the information is spread by word of mouth. There’s also concerns that publicly announced funeral details advertises that the deceased’s home would be empty leading to a burglary opportunity.

Maureen

Maureen Report 22 May 2019 20:04

Thank you

I have not been able to get out recently will visit the main library when i am able.

DetEcTive

Not sure if you are in UK but its normal practice here to place the death in the local paper,often past friend and work mates that have lost touch will attend. Unlike US obituary's they don't give surviving family surnames and area they live. Saying that i have found US notices to be very informative and i have managed to find relatives from the information given.

Best Wishes

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 May 2019 21:20

Nope, definitely UK born & bred for a maximum of 6 generations primarily from the Home Counties :-D

As I said, theres more likely to be an element of family choice rather than purely a regional tradition.

Since Oct last year, OHs father & an aunt have died. 2 of my cousins have also died. None of their deaths were announced in local papers.
Going back, to my knowledge, a further generation news of family deaths in the 1960/70s were by word of mouth or letter.

Anyway, hope you manage to find what you’re looking for.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 May 2019 00:32

DET ...............

I agree with you.

I come from Lancashire, and in the 50s and 60s I remember deaths being announced in the local paper, with information on place and time of burial or cremation.

But it was much less common by the time my father died in 1970, we phoned people then. My brother died in 1990, I went back for his funeral, and spent time phoning people to tell them about that.

Some people put obituaries in the papers here in Canada, but many more don't, and few give details on time and place of burial, or what is more common here, the Celebration of Life.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 May 2019 11:37

I concur with the two previous posts

I have been to two funerals (in England) in the past week - neither of the deaths was announced in the local newspaper.

The use of the press to announce deaths has declined considerably in recent years - as it has for births and marriages

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 May 2019 14:20

I looked in the Wirral Globe, as sometimes deaths in Liverpool area are put in the paper that side of the river, but nothing there. One of my relatives and a friend's late husband listed in recent years but it is very much a personal choice, and perhaps done where there are likely to be former work colleagues who are not close enough to be notified any other way.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 May 2019 16:15

Marriage confirms spelling -

Marriages Mar 1950 (>99%)
Carr Minna Lambert Liverpool N. 10d 372

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 May 2019 17:57

There could be another reason ..................

it was discovered about 5 years ago that there were a few people here who carefully read obituaries in the local paper for ones that gave gave date and place of the funeral or Celebration. They never knew the person or died or any member of the family.

Then they turned up, had a great time especially at a Celebration of Life as there is always food provided.

One or two of them were lonely, one or two were looking for food, and others liked the "festivities", if one dare say that.

Someone happened to notice the same man turned up at 3 different funerals that s/he went to, mentioned it to others and showed a photo they had taken. It got onto social media ............ and I think he was identified at something like 10 funerals over about 3 years.

Police got involved, found the man .............. he being suspected of evil intentions, of course. Police let him go with a bit of a warning, because all he liked was the company, and the food.

Then of course, there are the burglars who look for addresses and take advantage of a house/flat being left vacant.