Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val

Val Report 31 May 2019 18:30

It says I have 3 trees matching then this comes up
There are no results matching your search for Elizabeth Large.

Tip: Your search has returned no results. Try broadening your search by just entering a forename and surname.

Remember - name spellings have changed over the years.

Flip

Flip Report 31 May 2019 20:30

I've just checked my tree here on Genes. When you open the tree it comes in a new window, but when I click on the potential tree match nothing appears to happen. However if I switch back to the original window opened the matches are all there, I've tried it for a few relatives and it works each time.

If this doesn't seem to work for you maybe you need to contact the GR support team.

Kense

Kense Report 1 Jun 2019 07:59

I think the matching algorithms used on the tree page and the search result page are slightly different in the date tolerance. If you increase the tolerance (typically from 0 to 1) you may find the missing matches

Having said that, I find the tolerance used for at least one person (the root) is 5 years.

Val

Val Report 1 Jun 2019 12:40

Thank you for info but it is on my tree that I checked on the number at corner of name it says I have tree matches then only 2 show up instead of 3

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Jun 2019 13:42

Don't put too much faith in the so-called "matches", Val.

Just as an example -

GR says there are 20 tree matches for my mother.
Only 12 show up, and only 6 of those are for the right person.

The other six are for people who just happen to have the same name as my mother, and were born in the same year.

It depends partly on how unusual (or not) the person's name is.
My mother had a fairly common name.

My father's name is more unusual. GR says there are 5 tree matches, and indeed there are 5, all for the right person.

Val

Val Report 2 Jun 2019 11:24

Thank you for info