Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census Query

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 28 Jul 2019 18:48

Could anyone point me in right direction please. I would like to trace the history of a cottage in Wales but do not know who lived there. Is it possible to look at the census with just the village? The village is Talerddig, LLANBRYNMAIR, if I could find it on a census then I could scan through and maybe find the cottage to see who lived there. Any census year would be great. Thank you for any help, Kim

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Jul 2019 18:56

Nothing is coming up just putting in Talerdigg. I've tried the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census. Would it have had another name in the past? Does the cottage have a name?

Kath. x

malyon

malyon Report 28 Jul 2019 19:04

Talerddig cutting
Main article: Talerddig cutting
Although the village no longer has a railway station, it is on the route of the 1863 constructed Newtown and Machynlleth Railway. The route passes through Talerddig cutting, a significant civil engineering achievement of the 1860s being 120 feet (37 m) deep and cut through solid rock, and the deepest in the world at the time of its completion in 1862

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 28 Jul 2019 19:14

Kath the cottage is called Cwm Ealch Isaf

Kimx

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2019 19:35

Are you sure it's not Cwmcalch Talerddig, Llanbrynmair, ?

If you put Cwmcalch Isaf, Talerddig, Llanbrynmair, into Google images you can see if you think it's likely to be the one?

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2019 19:44

If Cwmcalch it doesn't seem to be transcribed by name but in 1901 a John and Elizabeth Evans and daughter Winifred e lived there, if you look for 1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Talerddig Crossing, Tiryneynach, Llanbrynmair, Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire, Wales

and look at image it is a few entries up.

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2019 19:51

This is it I think, Cwmcalch, but mistranscribed

1901 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Cwmeatch, Tiryneynach, Llanbrynmair, Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire, Wales

John Evans Head Married Male 37 1864 Farmer Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Elizabeth Evans Wife Married Female 26 1875 - Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Winifred E Evans Daughter - Female 0 1901 - Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Hannah M Humphreys Sister-In-Law - Female 12 1889 - Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Margaret Williams Aunt Widow Female 70 1831 Living On Own Means Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales
Richard D Evans Servant Single Male 19 1882 Farm Laborer (General) Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2019 20:00

1891 again mistranscribed

1891 England, Wales & Scotland Census
Cwmcalchadef, Wern, Llanbrynmair, Machynlleth, Montgomeryshire, Wales

John Evans Head Widower Male 70 1821 Farmer Montgomeryshire, Wales
Elizabeth Evans Daughter Single Female 28 1863 Milliner Montgomeryshire, Wales
John Evans Son Single Male 27 1864 Farmers Son Montgomeryshire, Wales
Evan Roberts Son In Law Married Male 40 1851 Farmer Montgomeryshire, Wales
Winifred Roberts Daughter Married Female 34 1857 - Montgomeryshire, Wales
Mary B Roberts Granddaughter - Female 10 1881 Scholar Montgomeryshire, Wales
- Roberts Grandson - Male 0 1891 - Llanbrynmair, Montgomeryshire, Wales

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 28 Jul 2019 21:06

Rambling,

Thank you so much for your help, all I know is it's called Cwm Ealch Isaf, Talerddig, but with the info you've given me I'll have a look into it , and will get in touch with Aberystwyth RO. Wish I could show a pic of the cottage it's gorgeous :(

Kim x

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 28 Jul 2019 21:13

Rambling, that is the cottage, right, now I can focus on it. Can't thank you enough

Kim x

Rambling

Rambling Report 28 Jul 2019 21:47

Good luck with going further on it Kim, it does look a very nice cottage, I'd love it! :-)

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 29 Jul 2019 07:22

https://newspapers.library.wales/view/3421581/3421589/72/

(...daughter of Mr John Evans, Cwmcalch)

If above article relates, from below link.

https://newspapers.library.wales/search/advanced

Chris :)

Kim from Sandhurst

Kim from Sandhurst Report 29 Jul 2019 12:44

Wow Chris

Thank you so much for that

Kim :)