Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wrong Brides forname?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2019 15:35

Have others come across situations where it appears the bride and her sister have been confused? I have a marriage in 1739 @ Hilton, Huntingdonshire between Elizabeth Frost and John Richards. I then have a series of baptisms with father John, but mother Mary. Followed by burials for John Richards and Mary Richards in 1755. Elizabeth, born 1720, had a sister Mary who was a couple of years older than her. Both the Huntingdonshire FHS and FreeREG agree on the transcriptions.
There is a potential marriage for Elizabeth at nearby Fenstanton in 1746. I don't have an obvious alternative marriage for Mary.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 21 Aug 2019 16:36

Is it possible that Elizabeth died soon after the marriage and John then married Elizabeth's sister

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2019 16:55

There is no marriage at Hilton of John Richards to Mary Frost, nor a burial for Elizabeth there. If Elizabeth did marry John and move out of the parish, one would have expected Mary to have done the same, whereas all the baptisms are at Hilton, as are both of the burials.

malyon

malyon Report 21 Aug 2019 19:20

no0t seeing a birth for mary frost in hundington only one i see is one in 1738 in cambridge

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2019 20:23

There is , it is at Fenstanton, bapt date 16 Dec 1691. It is part of the England and Wales Christening Records 15390-1906, but I also have the the Hunts FHS transcripts & FreeREG have done transcripts as well. Fenstanton and HIlton are close to each other.

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2019 20:52

Ignore my last message, having a senior moment, the right Mary is baptised 27 Jul 1718 at Hilton. It's on both FreeREG and Hunts FHS transcripts, Familysearch don't have any baptisms for the parish before 1810. Elizabeth was baptised Hilton 18 Oct 1720. There were also what look like twins, John & Richard, bapt 1 Oct 1722, both buried later that same month.

malyon

malyon Report 21 Aug 2019 21:41

Mary Frost
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name:
Mary Frost
Christening Date:
27 Jul 1718
Christening Date (Original):
27 JUL 1718
Christening Place:
Hemingford-Abbots, Huntington, England
Father's Name:
John Frost

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2019 22:56

The above record quoted by malyon gives the place as Hemmingford-Abbots. On both FreeREG and the Hunts FHS baptisms it is clearly Hilton. The same is true of Elizabeth, John & Richard comparing the 3 record sets. The England Births & Christenings set actually indicates no records for Hilton for the period of these baptisms. There are only entries for 1813 onwards. Looks suspiciously like entries have been indexed to the wrong parish, as there are marriages and burials on Familysearch for Hilton.

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2019 23:00

Should have said there are earlier marriages and burials on Familysearch for Hilton.

Julie

Julie Report 21 Aug 2019 23:09

Have just checked and the burials for the suspected twins John and Richard do appear as Hilton, as does the marriage I question, of John Richards to Elizabeth Frost. It appears that somehow only the baptisms up to 1812 have been allocated to Hemingford-Abbots by Familysearch.