Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Certificates and will charges

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sidami

Sidami Report 21 Sep 2019 20:31

How mush for a birth marriage and death certificate now also will prices, if I was to order a few would the just charge a one off postage

Rambling

Rambling Report 21 Sep 2019 20:47

Sidami the certs are £11, but you can also get PDF's for some.

"PDF's for historical digitised civil registration records held by GRO (birth entries from 1837 - 1918 and death entries from 1837 – 1957) "

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faq.asp

Wills are now just £1.50 at https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Sep 2019 22:25

You don’t pay extra postage for certs

They are £11 inc p&p

Wills can be ordered as a download too

I paid £10 for one but it was sometime ago and the price has gone down recently

You order it online and they advise when it’s ready to view and download

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Sep 2019 10:06

Even if you order certificates online at the same time, they usually arrive in their own separate envelope, sometimes on different days. It can depend how easy it is for the staff to search for the required ones.

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Sep 2019 20:25

Thanks

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Sep 2019 20:25

How do you know if people made a Will is there a site to check please?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Sep 2019 21:42

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

For England and Wales only.

Read about Wills and probate here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

Sidami

Sidami Report 24 Sep 2019 22:43

When someone dies in a nursing home and you know they made a will does the solicitor then send it away? The reason I asked is i know a person had made a Will she died and a certain amount was left to someone but they didn’t get what they were supposed to have done,

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Sep 2019 07:14

Whoever was executor of the Will would have been responsible for following instructions.
Could it be that nursing home fees had reduced the amount of money available, so that there wasn't sufficient funds to carry out bequests?

You can buy a copy of the Will and see for yourself if instructions were as you think.

Sidami

Sidami Report 25 Sep 2019 07:42

Thankyou for that but I thought a will had to b sent away I had tried to to get a copy of the will but they said they hadn’t got it but I know there was a will the lady told me and we had a copy of it but I do know that she changed it but keeping the same people in it leaving them the same amount and she told me she was going to add me on it....I am not bothered about that it’s the fact that she left a certain amount to people and they only got half of what she said, I always thought when you got down to a certain amount the government paid into a nursing home? I am just a bit baffled as to why a Will wasn’t sent off and why people only got half ?

Sidami

Sidami Report 25 Sep 2019 07:42

Thankyou for that but I thought a will had to b sent away I had tried to to get a copy of the will but they said they hadn’t got it but I know there was a will the lady told me and we had a copy of it but I do know that she changed it but keeping the same people in it leaving them the same amount and she told me she was going to add me on it....I am not bothered about that it’s the fact that she left a certain amount to people and they only got half of what she said, I always thought when you got down to a certain amount the government paid into a nursing home? I am just a bit baffled as to why a Will wasn’t sent off and why people only got half ?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Sep 2019 10:27

You can't get copies of Wills which haven't gone to Probate

Sidami

Sidami Report 25 Sep 2019 15:23

Ok thanks