Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help required with sibling searches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MartinHill

MartinHill Report 4 Oct 2019 17:51

I am trying to find the best way to search for siblings of deceased relatives dating from the 1920s - present day. Can anyone please advise on the best way to do it. Also does this site only have the 1901 and 1911 census?

Martin

malyon

malyon Report 4 Oct 2019 18:50

you could try freebdm and familysearch both free sites if you need any help just ask

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Oct 2019 19:08

Freebmd has births and you can search using both surnames

If these are fairly common though you may get many unrelated records coming up

Freebmd is still work in process so you won’t find full records from about mid 80,s onwards

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Oct 2019 21:56

Yes, as far as censuses are concerned, GR only has 1901 and 1911 .

But as well as FamilySearch, mentioned by Malyon above , try Freecen:

https://www.freecen.org.uk/

Or give us some names and dates, and we'll have a look on subscription sites.

EDIT:

But you're looking for people from 1920's onwards.
There are no census records available online anywhere after 1911.
The 1921 census won't be made public until approx 2021.

There is the 1939 Register (not a census but very useful and informative) , which is on Ancestry and Find My Past, both subscription sites - we can look people up for you if you don't have a sub to either of those.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Oct 2019 23:41

Freebmd's records go up until ca 1991 ............... births, marriages AND deaths.

After that you have to look on Ancestry and FMP ........ but some of their most recent records are taken from obituaries published in newspapers, not the official GRO record.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Oct 2019 09:43

Not sure where some of Ancestry's most recent records come from, but my children didn't want an announcement in the paper when their Dad died,( 2017 ) so his information on Ancestry can only have come from official records.

His mother has not been gone a year yet and her information on Ancestry must have come from a similar source.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Oct 2019 17:48

Gwyn ...............

yes, some are released to ancestry apparently by GRO, but there are lots of other recent deaths on both ancestry and FMP that are not in the GRO format, so who knows where they come from?

My aunt-by-marriage died in 2009, no obituary published for her ...... we had to get someone in England to contact her church to find out what had happened to her. There was a nephew from her side who took complete charge, but didn't even let her neighbours know. :-0 No record on Ancestry or FMP

My sister-in-law died in December 2016, no obituary published for her, but her youngest daughter let everyone know and held a Celebration of Life for her. No record on Ancestry or FMP