Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relationships

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 24 Nov 2019 05:09

Can anyone come up with a relationship between:
The grandson of a Grandfather and the Grandson of a Grandmother who is also the wife of the others sons Grandfather.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2019 10:17

There are online charts. Try googling for them

Or draw your own chart and do a calculation

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Nov 2019 11:11

Are the parents of the two grandsons brother or sister, or are they step brother or sister (i.e. is it a second marriage for the grandfather and grandmother)? If their parents are step-brother or sister then I don't think there is actually much of a relationship but probably step-cousins although I don't think this is a recognisable relationship.

Kath. x

June

June Report 25 Nov 2019 08:25

Thanks for the info; with the help of a chart I have misled myself with my initial question.
Hence this is now what i have come up with. :

SON 1 is the paternal Grandson of parents (male A) & (female B )

SON 2 is the Nephew of (female B) in the above marriage.

I assume now there is now no actual direct relationship.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Nov 2019 13:56

I think there will be some sort of blood relationship but definitely not a direct relationship.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Nov 2019 21:43

I think they are first cousins once removed.

Grandparents A and B have a son C who is the father of the grandson D.
B's nephew E is the son of one of her brothers or sisters and therefore the first cousin of C. Which makes C's son D the first cousin once removed of E. (If E has any children they will be D's second cousins.)

If you draw this on a little family tree it becomes a lot less confusing!!

June

June Report 7 Dec 2019 09:13

Thanks Andysmum It now makes since, I just replaced your letters with the real names. So 2nd cousins they are. However if E has a child is that correct when you said 2nd Cousins or will they be 2nd Cousins removed.