Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relationships

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

June

June Report 24 Nov 2019 05:09

Can anyone come up with a relationship between:
The grandson of a Grandfather and the Grandson of a Grandmother who is also the wife of the others sons Grandfather.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Nov 2019 10:17

There are online charts. Try googling for them

Or draw your own chart and do a calculation

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Nov 2019 11:11

Are the parents of the two grandsons brother or sister, or are they step brother or sister (i.e. is it a second marriage for the grandfather and grandmother)? If their parents are step-brother or sister then I don't think there is actually much of a relationship but probably step-cousins although I don't think this is a recognisable relationship.

Kath. x

June

June Report 25 Nov 2019 08:25

Thanks for the info; with the help of a chart I have misled myself with my initial question.
Hence this is now what i have come up with. :

SON 1 is the paternal Grandson of parents (male A) & (female B )

SON 2 is the Nephew of (female B) in the above marriage.

I assume now there is now no actual direct relationship.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 25 Nov 2019 13:56

I think there will be some sort of blood relationship but definitely not a direct relationship.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Nov 2019 21:43

I think they are first cousins once removed.

Grandparents A and B have a son C who is the father of the grandson D.
B's nephew E is the son of one of her brothers or sisters and therefore the first cousin of C. Which makes C's son D the first cousin once removed of E. (If E has any children they will be D's second cousins.)

If you draw this on a little family tree it becomes a lot less confusing!!

June

June Report 7 Dec 2019 09:13

Thanks Andysmum It now makes since, I just replaced your letters with the real names. So 2nd cousins they are. However if E has a child is that correct when you said 2nd Cousins or will they be 2nd Cousins removed.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 7 Dec 2019 15:21

If the two sides are "level" they are straight 1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins etc. So, starting with grandparents, the first generation are siblings, the second (grandchildren) are first cousins, the next (great-grandchildren) are second cousins etc.

For each generation that is not "level", you add once removed, twice removed and so on.

In your example above, C and E are first cousins. C's son D is one generation different, so E's first cousin once removed. If D has a son F, he would be E's first cousin twice removed.

If you draw a little tree and put lines joining the ones you want to work out, it is clearer. If the line is horizontal, there are no "removes" involved. If the line is at an angle, you count the extra generations on the longer side and that tells you how many "removes" there are.

June

June Report 7 Dec 2019 20:55

Thanks for the info. I stand corrected with my first reply. All understood now.