Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Wills

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley

Shirley Report 13 Jan 2020 16:02

Can anybody please tell me? If you die in York, is your will registered in Newcastle upon Tyne?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 13 Jan 2020 16:48

I’m not 100% sure but I think it will be whichever office the executors have applied to for probate. Executors normally use the office closest to where they live so someone could die in York, leave a will naming executors who live in, say, London and the executors apply to a London probate office.

EDIT. I’ve just checked up on OH’s aunt. She died in Arizona, her British address was in South London, but the office granting probate to her executor was Ipswich, Suffolk.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 13 Jan 2020 17:00

My husband died in Gloucestershire and his Will was proved in Winchester.

greyghost

greyghost Report 13 Jan 2020 19:10

Lots of Nottingham wills go to the Manchester Probate Office

PatW

PatW Report 13 Jan 2020 22:16

Husband died in Preston Lancashire and probate granted in Liverpool. If I remember rightly you could send the application to wherever you wanted from the list given to you but when the papers come back you have to get a local solicitor to authorise them then they are returned to Liverpool for the final step. The probate office keep the will and the finalised probate papers are returned to you.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Jan 2020 23:50

My husband died in Kent but his will was probated in Brighton

Probate offices around the country were often closed and the offices transferred

Maidstone kent was our nearest but it was closed and transferred to Brighton

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Jan 2020 16:52

My mother-in-law died in Worthing. We live in Scotland, so as executor OH filed for probate in Carlisle - the nearest to us, but about as far from Worthing as you can get and still be in England.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 14 Jan 2020 17:50

Not all Wills actually go to Probate. And for those that don't, there will be no record anywhere