Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 4 Feb 2020 23:47

Is there anyone out there that understands the cM and segments on a DNA test.
I recently took a dna test and had a match to me of 565cM over 19 segments. We have been in contact but can not find how we are related, we have no common surnames that we recognise. How close would our relationship be? I'm very confused. Many thanks.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Feb 2020 09:10

Hi Rosemary.

That is quite a high match.

565 centimorgans would be in the region of 1st - 2nd cousins, including those 'removed'.

You have a lot of matching segments - those are all the little markers that match.

If it helps, for me that is closest to a first cousin once removed. For my OH that is nearest to a 2nd cousin

Don't forget there are secrets in families. We solved one in OH's family.

Hope this helps

Kense

Kense Report 5 Feb 2020 09:38

Have a read of this article in a Lost Cousins Newsletter

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/aug19news.htm#DNAmasterclass

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 5 Feb 2020 09:47

If you put the cM in this tool it will give you the range of possibles!

https://dnapainter.com/

Edit to add

It is a Free Site but you do have to Register.

Kense

Kense Report 5 Feb 2020 17:04

You can see that it is a fairly close relationship.

If you both know all your grandparents and first cousins and half cousins and their are no legitimate matches then pursuing the tie up might result in damaging your family relationships.

So be very careful how you investigate..

Rosemary48

Rosemary48 Report 5 Feb 2020 17:47

Thanks everyone for your input. Think it may be down to my granddad (long gone) and finding that my dad may have had a half sibling (the person in questions dad) is not a problem - I am trying to help this person because they obviously have strong dna links to my family and they deserve to know the truth, whatever it is. As all the people that might have known are no longer around it is proving difficult to tie down exactly who were involved! once again thanks everyone.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Feb 2020 18:26

Do the two of you share any other matches and if so can you follow their trees?

Try and get other family members to take a test, preferably of that earlier generation.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 6 Feb 2020 00:16

If you click on the 565cm over 19segments under your matches name it will list where the relationships where the DNA is possibly matched,

Such as,,sample.
Grandparent x1removed.
Aunt/Uncle.x 1 removed
Half Sibling.x1 removd
Niece/Nephew,x 1 removed.

Cousin is used in a loose sense,as no one knows the exact relationship,you hav to work it out.
If you know your aunt.uncle.grandfather had a half sibling who this connection is decended from then that will be the link ,it can even be down to where two brothers married to sisters 2 granerations ago.