Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

living relatives

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 17 Feb 2020 17:30

Is ther any way I can hide living relatives on my tree from other members I share with.
Im afraid Im in a spot of trouble.

greyghost

greyghost Report 17 Feb 2020 18:16

Go into "Account" at top of page. It opens at a page headed 'Personal details'

There is an option to "Hide Living Relatives"

Make sure you have that showing as "Yes"

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Feb 2020 18:42

I hope that any living relatives you have included in your tree have all given you their permission, to comply with site guidelines and GDPR

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 Feb 2020 20:51

The snag with the "Hide living relatives" facility is that it shows everyone born within the last 120 years, for whom you haven't entered a date of death, as living.
(Or rather, hides them, including yourself.)

I decided not to use it, for that reason.

Instead, I don't enter the full names of living people on my tree. I keep a private note of them elsewhere.
On the tree, I put in the surname, but only "Living" for the first name, and just the year of birth - no other details - or else don't put them on the tree at all.

EDIT:

That facility doesn't seem to be working.
I've just removed the death details of one or two people on my tree, born since 1900, as an experiment, then saying "Yes" to "Hide living relatives?"
but those relatives are still showing.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Feb 2020 22:13

One way is simply not to include them in your tree, but, if you do, don't share your tree, as the pemissions you have received to include them does NOT extend to anyone else.

Alternatively, put just initials of forename(s) and no birth year.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 18 Feb 2020 10:06

I have checked through a number of other member trees that I have access to.

Only one of the trees shows all recent generations as hidden. In the Details boxes the only box that does not state "Hidden" is the Gender box.

Also in the Extras Note box is the phrase "This relation has been hidden by the tree owner".

EDIT: Decided to check all the trees. There are two other trees which also have recent people Hidden. And one tree where only the names are included - dates and marriage boxes are blank.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Feb 2020 11:35

Alan -
you say you're in a spot of trouble.

If you mean you've added people without their permission, just delete them.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 18 Feb 2020 16:09

I have quite a few living people in my tree that I added without their permission...…..

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Feb 2020 16:35

Contravenes site guidelines.

Inky1

Inky1 Report 19 Feb 2020 14:40

Going back to the original post - and my first comment.

Based on my review of trees shared with me the "Hide Living" system works. This system hides living folk from any member whom one has given access. But the tree owner can of course still see everyone.

ArgillGran - How did you test the system? Did you log in with a separate user number?

Alan - If you only have one membership number it is still possible for you to check/confirm that those living are hidden. But only if you are prepared to trust another member with short-term access to view your tree (just long enough to have a look and report back to you)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Feb 2020 14:44

Inky -
No , I forgot the people would still be visible to the tree owner. It's probably working perfectly - I didn't check properly.

Alan

Alan Report 20 Feb 2020 18:54

many thanks for all the reply's to my post, I do not have living relatives on my tree and I have decided to still exclude them
ALAN

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Feb 2020 10:21

Unless you have their permission, you don't actually have a choice.