Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Opening my tree?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 7 Apr 2020 20:22

Please forgive me if these questions are too basic. In recent times I have only dipped in and out of GR and things seem to have changed.

I have just been speaking to a relative who has recently joined GR. Apparently he has had to pay £80 to join. Is there no longer a free account?

Secondly, how do I open my tree to him? There used to be a box to tick at the bottom of messages sent through GR and I cannot find it.

Help would be appreciated!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Apr 2020 20:38

To share your tree -

First he has to have at least one name on his GR tree - probably his own as a starting point.

Then you have to look for that name in "Search all Member Trees" under "Search" at the top of the page.

Click on "Find out more" beside your friend's name as tree owner.

Just below the resulting Message box you'll see "Allow this member to view my family tree".

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Apr 2020 20:47

Re subscription cost -
your friend must have opted for Platinum membership.

But yes, you can still register with GR free of charge.

You have to go to the GR site while you're logged out, as you would be if you were a new user wanting to register.
Click on "Register" at the top right of the home page.

(You can't see "Register" if you're logged in, because in that case you're already registered.)

Christine

Christine Report 7 Apr 2020 23:06

Many thanks!