Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Musty Bible

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 5 May 2020 13:38

I have just acquired a family bible along with other family interest items. The bible belonged to my great grandparents and has the dates of all their family written in the front of it. The trouble is that the bible and the other paper items I've got are all very old and smell musty and horrible! They've also got brown marks on, which I think are mould spores. Anyone got any ideas of how to get rid of the smell, so I can store them safely?

malyon

malyon Report 5 May 2020 14:02

could you wipe it over with zoflora disfectant

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 May 2020 14:09

In the short term, let them get some fresh air.

Putting any chemicals on them would probably cause damage, and might make them smell even worse.

When lockdown eases, ask your local library for advice, or find a book restorer

Jan.

Jan. Report 5 May 2020 15:12

Thanks malyon and ErikaH. I've just put them outside in the fresh air and hope that makes a difference. Will take your advice and ask my local library or Archives for their advice.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 May 2020 15:14

From a basic Google search - five suggestions:

https://tinyurl.com/ybm859ds

Also here re the foxing (brown marks):

https://tinyurl.com/ybuu7q4k

The bleaching mentioned in that link doesn't sound like something an amateur should attempt. Airing the book and keeping it dry seem better options.

Jan.

Jan. Report 5 May 2020 15:36

Thanks ArgyllGran for the links. There are some good tips there.