Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Find children of ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jackie22

Jackie22 Report 9 May 2020 01:20

Can someone please tell me how I can find out if my great grandmother had more than the two children I know about.

I’ve asked this question before but never managed to do it.
Please give me an ‘idiots guide’

Thanks
JACKIE

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 9 May 2020 13:32

Duplicate thread.

Replies on this thread:

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1383829

patchem

patchem Report 15 May 2020 08:13

Poster must have posted 3 times, and the thread with replies on has been deleted.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 May 2020 08:50

Jackie will have realised, from the replies and explanations I know she was given, that finding the birth of a hypothetical illegitimate child is virtually impossible, without huge amounts of work or expense, even if registered under the mother 's surname and not the unknown father's, particularly when you don't know where or when (within quite a wide time-frame - c1879-1905-ish from memory) the child might have been born, if at all.

There were at least a dozen illegitimate births under the right surname. A few were able to be found on later records with their various mothers, and ruled out, but most weren't.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 May 2020 10:04

There were 4 posts of this version of the OP’s request, due to a GR ‘blip’

She has deleted one, but not noticed the rest, although she was told about them

This relates to at least two other threads which have been dealt with at length.

This is one of them

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1366431