Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Campbells

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 4 Jun 2020 12:35

I have always been told that we have a connection with the Campbells and I think I may have finally found the link.

Thomas BUTTERY (born c. 1771) married Jane Campbel/Cambell (c.1773) on the 15th Sept.1799 in Hull, Yorkshire.

I would love to find more of the Campbells but so far have been unable to find Jane's parents. I'm using Find My Past but there are no hints as yet, and the record transcriptions that I have found for their marriage don't mention her father's name.

Any thoughts, please, on where I can go next?

Many thanks,
Eric

greyghost

greyghost Report 4 Jun 2020 12:47

For our info - the marriage you mention . FMP has potential matches for Thomas' baptism

We've found the following potential record matches for the same person in other record sets

Thomas Buttery
Parish Baptisms Record
Yorkshire (East Riding), England
Year of birth: 1768

Thomas Buttery
Parish Baptisms Record
Year of birth: 1754

Thomas Buttery
Parish Baptisms Record
Year of birth: 1768

Yorkshire Marriages

First name(s) Thomas
Last name Buttery
Occupation Gardiner
Residence Hull Holy Trinity
Marriage year 1799
Marriage date 15 Sep 1799
Marriage place Hull, Holy Trinity
By licence or by banns L
Spouse's first name(s) Jane
Spouse's last name Campbell
Spouse's residence Hull Holy Trinity
Spouse's marital status S
Father's first name(s) -
Spouse's father's first name(s) -
Witness 1 Robert Patterson
Witness 2 Hannah Patterson

Looking at the original - Jane has signed her name CAMPELL and it looks as though the vicar has also changed from an original B to a P but is perhaps not sure so has left it to read Cambell or Campell

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2020 13:04

Fathers' names do not appear on marriage records prior to July 1837, when Civil Registration was introduced

Unless you can find out where Jane was born, you're at a dead end

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2020 13:11

Connected - showing the 1799 marriage and more

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1370175

FMP alerted me to the fact that I'd accessed records previously

Possible baptism for Jane on the above thread, which you haven't acknowledged

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 4 Jun 2020 14:40

greyghost, Thank you, I have looked at the Baptism records for Thomas but am very hesitant to link
them to my tree without being fairly sure of a match, especially as the dates of the baptisms pre-date
the approximate date of birth that I have, although I do realise that such approximations can be way out.
I suspect that the 1768 entries could well be a match as there is only a 3-year difference.

I hadn't noticed the vicar's alteration on the original, though I had noticed the different spellings between the 3 marriage transcriptions and the marriage licence index.

Erika, Thanks for pointing out the possible baptism for Jane on my previous thread; sorry, I must have missed it. Again, I hesitate to link it to my tree as yet in case it turns out to be a wrong line. Can I please ask - what would others do? link it and go back later to correct if found to be wrong, or wait until proof can be found?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Jun 2020 15:06

Unless you can get proof, you can’t go any further

Lawrence

Lawrence Report 4 Jun 2020 15:48

Thanks, Erika