Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Babies born in Willersley Castle, Matlock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Heidi

Heidi Report 25 Jun 2020 11:58

I am researching the mothers who were sent up to Willersley Castle, Matlock, Derbyshire from the East End of London during the second world war and would like to hear from some of the 'babies' born there when it was a Salvation Army Maternity Unit.

I would also like to hear of any stories their mothers may have told when billeted in the nearby small town of Wirksworth before giving birth.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Jun 2020 12:05

Unfortunately, it's not likely that many (if any at all) of those mothers or "babies" will happen to see your post on this website - though you never know!.

You might be better to put an ad in a local newspaper.

EDIT:
But I see your research is advertised on the Derwent Valley Mills website, as your research has been commissioned by them, so I suppose you have already tried other avenues.
You will also have researched everything there is online about the castle when it was a maternity home, I'm sure, so I won't post any links here.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Jun 2020 12:34

If you have any info regarding names try looking in 'search all member trees'

The chances of anyone connected seeing your post on here are minimal - hardly anyone uses these boards.