Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

House numbers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 29 Jun 2020 11:30

I went to Falkland Fife Scotland to see where my 3x great grandfathers and family house was but can anyone tell me why the houses have names but are not numbered?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Jun 2020 11:59

Houses were quite often renumbered - maybe there was a local fad to give houses names.
I am assuming you found them in a numbered house. Have a look through the census forms and see if there is something like a pub which you can work from. Also try and get hold of Electoral Rolls/voting registers - they might help.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 29 Jun 2020 12:16

Even nowadays, in small villages or rural areas, houses often don't have numbers.
Mine doesn't, in a Scottish village.

I used to live in another village where the houses didn't even have names, and I know many of them still don't.
Everyone , including the local postman, knew everyone else and where they lived, so no need for house numbers or even house names.

Rural or village houses are often not in streets as such, but just scattered around, and therefore not able to be numbered in any logical way.

As far as Falkland's concerned, the old part is pretty compact, and everyone would know who lived where.

Falkland plays the part of Inverness in "Outlander".

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jun 2020 12:39

My current home doesn't have a number.

The house I lived in as a teenager didn't have a number - and still doesn't

Both are in built-up urban areas

Mary

Mary Report 29 Jun 2020 16:02

Thank you all for replying to my question.

Mary

Mary Report 29 Jun 2020 16:03

Mary

Mary Report 29 Jun 2020 16:03