Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register entries- St Pancras, London.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

margaret

margaret Report 18 Jul 2020 13:36

Looking at the electoral roll for 1937, GOWER STREET, St Pancras, London.

the houses numbered from 187 to 200+ seem to be fully occupied. These are Georgian 3 floors of purpose built apartments, So 3/4/5/ people on each floor.
(some still exist)!

However on FMP those odd numbers from about 190 upwards on the 1939 register seem either unoccupied or not indicated,
Looking for the occupants of 197 and 199.

This street was previously named George Street , but was renamed c 1937.

I dont have access to other sites to see if this is just a error. or- the houses were empty or demolished.
Can anyone advise please.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Jul 2020 13:51

There are no listings for numbers between 193 and 201

Check the images for confirmation

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2020 15:50

193-201 are not on the London Electoral Roll for St Pancras in 1939, either.

Perhaps those numbers were taken up by offices or similar where nobody was resident?

EDIT: No, that doesn't make sense when there were people living there in 1937!

That stretch of Gower Street nowadays seems to consist of various buildings of University College London, per Google Maps.

Those numbers don't seem to be on the ER in 1938 either.
But as you say, in 1937 there are several households at all those addresses.

margaret

margaret Report 21 Jul 2020 13:29

Yes I thought they may have been evacuated- but that dosnt make sense either. since the register is taken on 29-9-1939

Looking on Google Maps today - they are still apartments showing as Gower Street north ,at the junction with Drummond road.
The print I have of the page - handwritten- listed as ASAN 9/1 Has also a blank entry at apartment No. 291 (24 &25) which is usual I guess.

There is no one listed as at 205/207209/. which are actually on the list.. I cant work out what happened...

As I understand it , there were built 3 or 4 apartments at each 'house' number. :-S :-S