Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Who was Ann Vernon's mum

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Aug 2020 15:37

Hoping someone can help me.

My 3x gt Grandmother Ann Vernon was baptised on 6th February 1820 at Hanbury Staffordshire. Her parents were named as Joseph and Ann Vernon.

Going back over my tree I have her mum as Ann Rowbotham c1784. I have a marriage for her to Joseph Vernon c1783 on 13th Feb 1806 at Sutton on the Hill, Derbyshire.

According to the 1861 census Ann Vernon, a widow, was born in Hilton Derbyshire. Sutton on the Hill and Hilton are three miles apart. I know this is the correct lady as also listed is Ann Hudson (nee Vernon) and my 2x gt Grandmother Mary Allsopp.

So many trees on Ancestry have Hannah Shelton as being married to Joseph Vernon. I know a lot of people will just copy other trees without researching but I'm now confused. I have come across it before on another line where, after help from others have been able to prove all the trees were wrong. Another 3x gt Grandmother Elizabeth was born illegitimate as was her sister Sarah three years later yet all trees on Ancestry had them born to a couple named John and Hannah. My Elizabeth and Sarah's mother was an unmarried Hannah, thanks to the vicar writing baseborn. .

Hoping someone can please help me clarify if my Joseph Vernon married Ann Rowbotham.

Chris

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Aug 2020 16:07

This is the marriage:-

First name(s) Joseph
Last name Vernon
Marriage year 1806
Marriage date 13 Feb 1806
Place Sutton on the Hill
Dedication St Michael
Denomination Anglican
Residence Of This Parish
Spouse's first name Ann
Spouse's last name Rowbottom
Spouse's name as transcribed Rowbottom, Ann
Witnessess Thos Robotham/Mary Gamble(x)
Signed X
County Derbyshire
Country England
By banns or licence Banns
Record set Derbyshire Marriages
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records

Do the witnesses give any clues as to whether this is the right marriage.

Kath. x

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Aug 2020 16:14

I've not yet been able to see the original Kath.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Aug 2020 16:17

Jst found that the witnesses were Thomas Rowbotham and Mary Gamble. That info is from a transcription.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Aug 2020 16:21

The witnesses for the marriage to Hannah Shelton were Robert Morley and Anne Roberts.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Aug 2020 17:30

The names of the witnesses are only of help if you actually already know the names of family members, which, in this case, you don’t.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 9 Aug 2020 17:43

ErikaH I have found the following children for Joseph and Ann

Joseph c1809
George c1811
John c1813
Charles c1815
Sarah c1817
Dinah c1822
Mary c1824
Dorothy c 1829

Yes your conclusion that Ann Vernon married Allsopp and then Hudson is correct.

I really appreciate yours and KathleenBell's help.