Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find adopted brother for a friend

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 7 Oct 2020 17:04

Oh, Connie, I've got tears in my eyes reading that. I love happy endings.

Annie

Connie

Connie Report 5 Oct 2020 23:54

My son was adopted when he was 6 weeks old in 1959 and his name was changed completely.
I registered with the government office and my name was put on his file saying I would like to be contacted. The cost was £30 and it was well spent as in February this year he made contact through an intermediary and it was wonderful.
Hope all goes well

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Oct 2020 16:54

The marriage you found could be that of another person of the same birth name, born some years later

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Oct 2020 16:49

Yes, his name would have changed. His surname for certain, although by the age of three, he would have known his own name, so he may still be Michael

Advise your friend to add herself to the national adoption contact register

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

If her brother knows he was adopted and has any interest in finding birth family, he may have done the same

He isn't in any GR trees

Darealjolo

Darealjolo Report 5 Oct 2020 16:14

Hi
My friend desperately wants to find her brother who was adopted age 3.Today is his birthday. She knows nothing apart from birth details which are
Michael Christopher Guthrie
Born 1963 in Ealing

I found a marriage but thinking surely his name would of changed.
Can anyone advice me please.
Thank you