Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name removed from head stone

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 6 Oct 2020 20:11

Hello

Would anyone have any idea why a name may have been removed from a grave stone.

Thanks

Lynn

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 6 Oct 2020 20:22

One possible reason could be that it was done without permission.
Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Oct 2020 08:42

Have you asked the relevant authorities?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Oct 2020 09:17

Could the named person have been meant to be buried in the grave and then subsequently wasn't for some reason?

Is this a very old headstone or a relatively new one?

Could the name have been the wrong name?

There must have been a very good reason because it is quite expensive to remove a headstone to do anything to it (I wanted the lettering on my mother's headstone re-gilded but the cost was rediculous so I didn't bother).

Kath. x

Lynn

Lynn Report 7 Oct 2020 09:24

This is an old headstone, 1713. The removal is very obvious.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 7 Oct 2020 10:03

We can guess at any number of possible scenarios. But they'll only be guesses.

Are there other names on the stone?
Do you know the relationship of the person to others named on the stone?

If the removal was a long time ago, maybe some serious family rift??

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Oct 2020 13:06

300+ years down the line, people can only speculate. No-one can possibly give you a definitive answer

Do you know whose name was removed? Have you researched the names of those interred in the grave?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 7 Oct 2020 13:41

If this headstone is in an old churchyard rather than a cemetery then it is possible (although very unlikely) that the church may have old records that might throw some light on why. It would be worth asking the church if they have old records or if the records from that far back are with the County Records Office.

I don't think you will find any sort of answer online.

Kath. x

Kuros

Kuros Report 7 Oct 2020 17:02

Some of the really old stones had metal letters which fitted into an indent carved on the stone. They were nailed on. My great-grandparents' stone is like this. The metal letters fall off in time as the nails loosen and fall off and the dents they've vacated erode so it looks as though the names have been removed.

Annie

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Oct 2020 00:24

That's a very good point Annie, and could well be the answer.

Kath. x

Lynn

Lynn Report 11 Oct 2020 11:51

Thanks everyone