Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage /birth/deaths

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 23 Jan 2021 18:46

Can I view original certificates ifI have the index numbe Eg 8e 996 line193.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Jan 2021 18:49

You can’t view English/Welsh certificates online. You need to buy them from the GRO.

Steven

Steven Report 23 Jan 2021 18:55

Ok ..thought as much ..it's just sombody I know said she could view the on ancestry..thanks

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jan 2021 19:42

If somebody has the person in their tree on Ancestry, they may have scanned and attached the image of a certificate - you might be lucky.
I woudn't count on it, though.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jan 2021 20:23

Ancestry does have some images of marriage records from parish registers.

It depends on area as to what is available on that site.

Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast Report 4 Feb 2021 16:02

Do you need the certificate or the information on it? Depending where and when, there are a lot of registers online at Ancestry. If you post what you are looking for, I'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Feb 2021 16:46

A parish entry for a marriage will be very similar to the marriage certificate, but birth and deaths in the parish registers will have very little information.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 4 Feb 2021 22:01

Many old parish entries for marriages don't have much info either - just the spouses' names and possibly an indication of above - but no parents' names.

OPR's on SP are often like that

(Not sure that Steven is looking here for replies.)

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 Feb 2021 20:37

If you buy a certificate make sure you do it through the GRO and not a commercial company which will charge £25 for what you can do yourself for about a tenner.

And if it's just the maiden name of a child's mother you need you can get that from the GRO index without actually buying the certificate.