Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Software for saving Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Riley54

Riley54 Report 26 Jan 2021 20:44

Hi I have always just kept my tree on Genes and not exported it to any software mainly because I have no idea which software to use. There just seems so many out there. I want to do this so I can make copies for family members. I have also made a bit of a mess by starting the tree in my husbands name but then adding my family to the tree too and I want to sort it out into two trees. I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you. Adena

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Jan 2021 21:04

Hi Sharon. May I suggest you change your user name as there is another Dermot and I also suggest you don’t use Sharon either as we have a Sharron and I think another Sharon.

Lots of people keep their trees offline by using software. Everyone has views and seem to get used to their own first choice and prefer it to others. Probably as much to do with learning how to use one and finding the others different. I use Family Tree Maker and managed to split my big tree into several smaller ones. I expect the others allow you to do the same.

Riley54

Riley54 Report 26 Jan 2021 21:29

Hi nameslessone thank you for your reply. I've changed my name but I am unsure of how to change the username but I will look into it. thanks. I will also read up on Family Tree Maker too.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jan 2021 22:16

I use Roots Magic .
There's a free version, which I use, and also a paid version.

https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

As you say, there are lots of different possibiities to choose from. It's really a matter of reading up on them, and weighing up the pros and cons to see which suits your needs best.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 26 Jan 2021 22:18

To change your username on GR, click on "Account" at the top of this page.
Then change your username in the "Message Board Name" box, and click "Save".

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Jan 2021 09:23

Oops. Sorry, I didn’t explain very well. I meant don’t use Sharron/Sharon as your user name.

If you look over on the Chat board you can see Sharron and Dermot. And how ‘busy’ they are. There is no problem on how you sign off your posts.

Several people have seemingly odd user names but sign off with their own.

Riley54

Riley54 Report 28 Jan 2021 21:07

Thank you nameslessone I've sorted the user name now.

ArgyllGran Can I ask did you export your tree or start from the beginning in Rootsmagic.

The thing is I have made a bit of a mess by starting the tree in my husbands name about his family but then adding my family to the tree too and I want to sort it out into two trees. Adena

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2021 21:59

I had my tree on GR (and still do, in addition to RootsMagic), and downloaded it as a GEDCOM file.
Then uploaded to RM.

If you want to have two trees, you'll either need to start from scratch, or upload the whole tree twice, as two different trees on RM (if that's the programme you choose) and delete the relatives you don't want on each.

Riley54

Riley54 Report 28 Jan 2021 22:15

Thank you for that advice. It makes sense really to upload twice and then delete part of each tree.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Jan 2021 22:29

Yes, although a pain to do, it's easier than having to put everything in again from scratch.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Jan 2021 09:21

If I remember correctly, the advice for FTM was to delete the person that joined the two trees (making sure there were no notes attached etc)then you could move the remainder of the tree and then re enter the missing person.

Edit: my Ipad just froze so have moved to main computer. I would suggest that when you get your software you copy your tree onto it twice, renaming one of them then you have a copy of your muddled tree for emergencies and you can 'play around' with the other one. That way you won't lose anything.