Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA links to help identify ancestor

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Mar 2021 13:52

I realise that results will depend on whether or not certain people are tested, but is there a chance in this situation that we might get a clue to a distant male ancestor or because we will be following a female line, the chances are limited?

We have a male adult, whose maternal great grandmother ( all female line) didn't know who her father was.

Are we likely to be able to get nearer to any answers with the male's DNA test.?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Mar 2021 14:24

The Y chromosone test won’t work here as it is for purely the male line. The autosominal test follows both male and female.

You may well track down the family, whilst not knowing which son is the father.

It is worth a try. You might need to get someone from your man’s paternal line to test to make it easier to remove those shared matches from your research.

Good luck

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Mar 2021 15:13

That’s expecting a lot TBH

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 25 Mar 2021 15:55

Erika

You are always knocking DNA testing. It CAN work -although, like everything else there is a chance that it won’t straight away. But like all family history, you have to pop back now and again to see if there is anything new.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Mar 2021 15:59

I'm not expecting a definite link, I was asking if this was at all possible.

Thank you Names. I will wait to see what results are shown. I did think our problem might be not having a male link to follow.

This person's DNA is likely to show some very interesting results anyway, as we know they have a very mixed heritage.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Mar 2021 16:52

Not 'knocking it' per se............merely trying to get people to have realistic expectations about what it can achieve.

Some people have the idea it's the complete answer to every genealogy query. It isn't.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Mar 2021 06:46

It can work through the female side

I had a dna link through ancestry to a male who had the same female name in his tree as mine

So in 1852 an Emma Suckling.widow. married James Ager Widower and my maternal grandmother was descended from them

The dna link was connected to Emma Suckling through her first marriage

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Mar 2021 09:01

That's interesting Shirley.

I'll just have to wait for the processing and see what shows up for us.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Mar 2021 09:50

For those that have no experience of researching their family the results can be a bit daunting.
If you have the experience then you know how to go about researching and compiling trees - that is usually what brings you the results. As long as a number of people from that side of the family have tested.
It is certainly possible to find the family of a 2 x great grandparent although it might just be a family not an actual person.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Mar 2021 10:32

Thank you for that names.

I have a couple of 'suspects' although I realise that would need careful investigation.

The census earlier in the year when the child was born shows her mother living on a farm and I have my eye on her fellow workers.
Absolutely no proof of course, but one has to start somewhere, so I wondered whether or not a link to any of those men was possible.

We'll wait and see............

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Mar 2021 12:55

You could register at Lost Cousins and look at the master class on DNA. The site has lots of useful information in its newsletters.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Mar 2021 13:50

Thank you for that tip, Jacqueline.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 27 Mar 2021 15:10

This is the link to the Lost Cousins masterclass:

https://www.lostcousins.com/newsletters2/mar21news.htm#DNAMasterclass

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 27 Mar 2021 15:17

Thank you for the link names.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Apr 2021 09:55

Well the results are back, now the hard work begins.

It's a really mixed heritage, as suspected, but some surprises too and no hint of the Asia ancestor talked about in his father's ancestry ?

No idea where the Irish link might come in, but maybe they moved to the South Wales coalfield, where we have known links.

Plenty to investigate.......................

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Apr 2021 11:21

Good luck.