Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query re names on death certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 26 Mar 2021 15:18

Hi.. A couple of weeks ago I found the death recorded for a family member..
This person was adopted, his death however is registered in his adoptive family name also added is formerly know as his birth name also date and place of birth...
Without the latter I could never have found him... The lady at the register office had never heard of this happening.
I always thought that when a child was adopted an ammended bith certificate was issued and the birth name etc became obsolete..
Can anyone plse tell me why his death would be recorded with tthe addition of his birth details.
I can't post names to be respectful to his family.
Thank you for any help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2021 15:56

When was he adopted?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Mar 2021 15:58

Do you know that there was a new birth certificate.? It may be that it was not a formal adoption.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 26 Mar 2021 16:11

He was born 1972.. died 1996, only 24yrs old..
It was definately a formal adoption.
Thank you

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 26 Mar 2021 16:14

Sorry ErikaH.. Adopted 1972
Thank you

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 26 Mar 2021 16:17

So young.

I suppose it was his adopted family who registered his death. Maybe they thought it the best thing to do.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Mar 2021 16:28

Perhaps he had been looking for his birth family and his adopted parents decided that it was the right thing to do in memory of him.

Kath. x

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 26 Mar 2021 16:28

There is a section on death certificates that asks if the person was ever known by any other name, so the informants were just being honest with the information.
This is probably unusual and not all families would disclose this.

I know of a deceased person whose family also gave the pre adoption name.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Mar 2021 16:33

I haven't seen a death certificate with space for any other name the person was known by Gwyn :-S

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Mar 2021 16:35

Modern ones do - they cater for married women’s deaths, among other things

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 26 Mar 2021 16:41

It was the Coroners office who registered his death..
His birth family have been looking for him since the start of the internet and places to leave messages, he was never forgotten by them.. they thought it best that he should try to contact them but did leave messages.
I suppose it's going to remain unknown as to how both names are on the certificate.
His birth family are trying to find out where his remains are now and awaiting the coroners report.
Thank you all so very much for your help and kindness.
Regards, Jennifer