Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I am furious!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kuros

Kuros Report 6 Apr 2021 13:12

I've had a world-wide subscription on Find My Past for a few years now. Recently, they've started sending notifications that you have a connection to another member regarding your tree. I had such a message this morning and the connection was my great-great-grandfather's family so well worth a look. I clicked on the necessary links, the last of which was to contact the tree owner. A notice came up on the screen asking me to upgrade my subscription to send the message. I was furious. I've just paid over 132 pounds to renew my subscription. This is a real rip-off.

Annie

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 6 Apr 2021 13:41

To what?

All three subs are supposed to allow "contact people with common ancestors".

Kuros

Kuros Report 6 Apr 2021 14:25

That's what I thought. I just went back now to check and the email I had said Alert: potential relative found. When I clicked on it this time it didn't give me any option to contact the potential relative. Last time I looked it gave me a box saying there was a member I could contact. This appeared next to the census records and burial record for the ancestor concerned. I've contacted Find My Past to ask what is going on.

Annie

Edit: I put a post on Find My Past's Facebook page about this and it was there a short while before - guess what - it disappeared!

Kuros

Kuros Report 6 Apr 2021 14:56

I've had a reply.

"You currently have a 12 month world subscription and whilst this gives you access to all records on Find My Past, it does not include access to our new private messaging feature."

As I said earlier, a rip-off!

Annie

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Apr 2021 12:29

Did the T&C's of the subscription make this clear when you read them prior to paying? If not, you would seem to have a case against FMP

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Apr 2021 12:33

But looking on the site it says this

It's free, and everyone with a family tree on Findmypast gets an inbox. To initiate contact, you’ll either need to be on a Starter, Plus or Pro free trial or subscription.

The feature is only available on findmypast.co.uk at the moment. It will arrive on findmypast.com, findmypast.com.au and findmypast.ie soon.

:-(

I have worldwide subs too but don’t have a tree on there !

Maybe it will be like the 1921 census when it’s released .think it’s free to search but pay extra to view

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Apr 2021 12:42

Looks like Annie was sent the wrong messages sit seems to because she has .com .