Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This maybe a silly question but ....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 24 Apr 2021 18:50

Apologies if this is a silly question but I wondered if there is a way to find roughly when a family would have moved from one area to another when it was between census.

On my friends tree I have a carpet weaver from Kidderminster, Worcestershire in 1891 moving his family to Ladywood, Birmingham to work as a tube labourer in 1901.

As I said - sorry for the question but its caused a 'question mark' within my friends family as the job change was so different as well as the area and they wondered if something had happened in the carpet trade which may have prompted the move.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Apr 2021 19:06

Ancestry has Electoral Rolls for Birmingham - you might find them there:

https://tinyurl.com/6ynzvw57

As as far as I know, there are no ERs for Kidderminster at that time online, but the Birmingham records might give you an idea of when the family arrived there.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2021 19:09

Did they produce children in the 10-year period?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Apr 2021 19:15

On closer inspection, the Birmingham ERs don't seem to cover that time-span.

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 24 Apr 2021 19:21

Yes they did have children born between 1880 - 1896 all born in Kidderminster. I will have a look at the ER for B'ham.. Thanks to both of you.

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 24 Apr 2021 19:32

I just looked too, ArgyllGran, never mind it was worth looking though. Thanks again

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2021 20:08

So they moved after 1896.........quite a small 'window'

Have you googled to try to find out if there was a depression or a decline in the carpet-making industry?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Apr 2021 00:03

Birmingham doesnt have a underground Tube system,

,Large carpets came and still does on solid hard cardboard tubes,,maybe this is what the job refers too.or a machine tube was used in the manufacturing carpet process,?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Apr 2021 09:46

Definitely nothing to to with underground transport :-S :-S :-S :-S

Historically, lots of Tube & Pipe manfacturers in BIrmingham area

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Apr 2021 11:11

If you look at parish records for their area of Ladywood, you might find mention of the family in baptisms etc.
It won't help with the Why? but might help with the When?

Sometimes a house move could be prompted just by hearing of what seems better opportunity of employment, both for the bread winner and for the future of the children.
Reading online, conditions for young people could be quite harsh in the carpet making business, so a new location could have presented more choice perhaps ?

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 25 Apr 2021 14:15

Thanks everyone for the extra information

My friend has now found that a Tube Drawer would have earned about 25 shillings a week and would have been a metal worker making metal tubes for eg. in the construction of bicycles or even for making shotgun barrels - so the Tube Labourer would have presumably been the 'helper' for the Tube Drawer ,

Although living conditions in general at that time were not brilliant in Birmingham maybe the whole 'package' seemed a better prospect for the family.

Thanks once again for your help everyone .

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 25 Apr 2021 16:15

It seems that there was unemployment among male carpet weavers in Kidderminster in the 1890s because of the introduction of new looms which could be used by women, who were paid less than men.

"In the 1880s as the tapestry trade declined, the union was able to retain the principle that only men would use carpet looms in Kidderminster, but to secure employment in a declining job market, they agreed to work with women at women's wages on a loom designed for women which made plush for curtains. Finally in the 1890s, when the union was hard pressed because of shrinking employment opportunities relative to the supply of male labour, the men were unable to exclude women from carpet weaving on looms touted as "women's looms," nor were they able to convince employers to integrate the sexes in the trade. The case of carpets reveals the complex interaction of factors which leads to gender segregation in particular historical instances. In some cases employers were primarily responsible for actions which led to the sex-typing of jobs. In other instances male unionists' exclusionary strategies retained jobs exclusively for men. Regardless of which side was victorious, the restructuring of work and the introduction of new technology reconfigured, but did not break down, the sexual segregation of jobs in the Kidderminster carpet firms. "
https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php/MCR/article/view/17447/22573

Lynnedee

Lynnedee Report 30 Apr 2021 17:04

Thank you ArgyllGran, I told my friend to read up on the carpet trade. I found your information really interesting - I'll be reading up further on it too and it answers the question of why the family moved. Thank you for your help.