Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Servants Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 10 Jan 2022 16:36

Could anyone tell me if their were such things as servants Records,im trying to find an ancester who was a Domestic servant in liverpool in 1914-15.

Thank you.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Jan 2022 16:42

Unlikely in the extreme - unless employed by nobility - and even then, very doubtful

Kuros

Kuros Report 10 Jan 2022 17:57

As ErikaH said it's unlikely unless he or she was employed by a notable family or a well-to-do one. In these cases there may have been historical records kept. Houses of the landed gentry often kept details of employments and household accounts and these I've found in some record offices. My grandmother was the cook for the McDougall flour family and I contacted them about staff records but they did not go back that far.

Annie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Jan 2022 17:59

As Erika says, unless for nobility, general records would probably not be kept, but there may be mention of the servant in another way.

For example, I know of someone who was employed in 1920s by a Lady and was requested to attend her funeral, when she died.
The servant's attendance was recorded in the list of mourners published in The Times, but her status was not shown.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 11 Jan 2022 22:26

Thank you for your reply.

I was almost sure i had read somewhere that their was a register of Servants.

but maybe just for the nobility like mentioned above.

Thank you.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Jan 2022 10:49

I’ve just googled this and there were employment agencies for servants. I’m on my iPad so can’t post links but there seem to be several sites for these. Whether or not the lists are now available anywhere is another thing - I haven’t read through all the sites.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 16 Jan 2022 17:02

Thank you will google it now.