Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1921 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 18 Jan 2022 23:11

hello again.

looking through the 1921 census for my elusive G Grandmother,shes living at home with her parents age 23,i know she never married and she lived at the same address until she died in 1967 (if this is the correct person ive been chasing for 16 yrs) she gave birth to my grandfather in 1915 age 17( age adds up) she named her son ronald after her father,my question is, would it be strange for a female age 23 to be still living at home in 1921 or did people marry later then.
THANK YOU.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Jan 2022 00:47

If she had a child out of wedlock and her parents were prepared to let her stay at home and bring up the child then it wouldn't be strange for her to still be living at home. It would be more strange in those days for her to move out and live on her own with the child.

Most people would either stay with their parents or get married and set up their own home. Single people didn't routinely do this as they do now.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Jan 2022 08:39

If she living at home and looking after the baby then it’s unlikely she would take on a live in position elsewhere

She had good parents it seems who helped her and didn’t throw her out because she had a baby

Being an unmarried mum was often stigmatised in those days

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 19 Jan 2022 09:08

In addition to what Kath and Shirley say -
an unmarried daughter was often expected to stay with her parents to look after them in their old age.

Also - maybe she had lost a boyfriend/fiancee during WW1. Very many women did, and remained unmarried.

Re looking after parents -
even as relatively recently as 1964, when my mother died, several people said to me, "Oh, you won't be going to university now, will you? You'll be staying to look after your dad." (I was 17).
Such a thing had never occurred to my dad or to me, and I did go to uni.
But the notion was still prevalent even then.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 19 Jan 2022 16:18

hello
Thank you for replies,what i forgot to say was my g grandmother gave my grandad away before he was 3 months old,it was not a formal adoption as this was in 1915,we think she knew his adopted parents but cant be sure.