Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Divorce Records in newspapers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Jan 2022 22:21

Hi,
I'm wondering if a divorce would be recorded in a newspaper?
The couple concerned married in 1933 in Tynemouth area, Northumberland.
I don't know when they divorced but in 1939 she is living elsewhere without her husband, though the 1939 National Register still lists her as married. I've tried looking in the newspapers in Findmypast but nothing has come up. I don't think I'm using the correct search words.
Could someone see if they can find a divorce for them please.
Their names are Thomas W Walker, and Eva Richardson.

I know they divorced as she married someone else later on.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2022 22:33

What were their dates of birth?

Have you found Thomas elsewhere in 1939, or his death?

Does Eva's second marriage cert say she had been divorced?

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Jan 2022 22:44

Hi ArgyllGran,
Eva Richardson was born on 7th January 1905 near Alston, Cumberland. She went back to live there after the divorce.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about Thomas as yet - I've just sent for their marriage certificate, so I know I'm jumping the gun with this query, but thought I might have found their divorce.

I've just discovered that divorce records are on the National Archives, but I don't know how to get to the divorce records there.

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Jan 2022 22:49

I've never actually seen Eva's second marriage certificate, I just know the date they married as I actually knew them both when they were alive. Eva told me that she had been married before and divorced, and apart from his name I don't know any more yet, till I get their marriage certificate.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2022 22:49

For our reference - living with her future second husband:

Eva Walker
in the 1939 England and Wales Register
Name: Eva Walker [Eva Cowan]
Marital Status: Married
Birth Date: 7 Jan 1905
Residence Date: 1939
Address: Pry House
Residence Place: Alston with Garrigill, Cumberland, England
Line Number: 38
Schedule Number: 106
Sub Schedule Number: 3
Enumeration District: HCAE
Borough: Alston with Garrigill
Registration district: 570/1 No 5
Household Members Age
Thomas Cowan 33
John A Cowan 29
Eva Walker 34
William S Walker 5
Thomas Jobson 11

Marriages Jun 1948 (>99%)
Cowan John A Walker Alston 1a 3
Cowan John A Richardson Alston 1a 3
Richardson Eva Cowan Alston 1a 3
Walker Eva Cowan Alston 1a 3

greyghost

greyghost Report 20 Jan 2022 22:50

Worth having a read of this -

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2022 22:51

4. Divorce case files, 1858-1972

Each divorce suit created a case file. The National Archives holds case files for all divorces from the Supreme Court 1858-1937 – very few case files survive after 1937.
4.1 What proportion of case files survive?

The survival rate of divorce case files is:

1858-1927: almost 100%
1928-1937: 80%
After 1937: less than 0.2%

4.4 How do I search for case files, 1917-1972?

Search Discovery, our catalogue, by name of petitioner, respondent or corespondent for divorce suits in England and Wales, both successful and unsuccessful, in J 77.

Very few files survive for the period 1938-1972. Files containing petitions dated after 1972 have not been transferred to the National Archives.
Narrow your search by using double quotation marks to find a person’s full name, such as “John Williams”.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Jan 2022 22:59

Thanks very much ArgyllGran and Greyghost.
Yes, Eva was housekeeper to the Cowan brothers in 1939, living there with her young son. She married John Cowan in 1948.
I'll read the links tomorrow as its late now.

Thanks again to you both for your help.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 20 Jan 2022 23:00

I see in the British Newspaper Archive that quite a lot of divorces did make it into the papers in the 1930's and 40s - but I don't see one for an Eva Richardson, or Walker.

Also, searching divorces on the National Archives "Discovery" database, there's nothing coming up for Eva Walker.

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Jan 2022 23:03

Just read your reply ArgyllGran. It doesn't look good does it, seeing as After 1937: less than 0.2%.

I'll have a look tomorrow but won't hold my breath about finding anything.
Thanks again.

Jan.

Jan. Report 20 Jan 2022 23:16

ArgyllGran - Thanks for searching for Eva - shame her divorce isn't there.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 21 Jan 2022 07:44

As she didn’t remarry till 1948 it suggests she wasn’t free to do so till then

Still showing as married in 1939 but not living with her husband may be they had separated

Or her husband had been called up for ww2

You need the marriage cert for its info

Jan.

Jan. Report 21 Jan 2022 12:25

Thanks Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it .
Yes, it does suggest she was seperated doesn't it. I've ordered the marriage certificate and am eagerly waiting for it coming next week.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jan 2022 12:26

You can't assume she was divorced unless you know for certain that her first husband hadn't died.

Jan.

Jan. Report 21 Jan 2022 15:17

ErikaH, Eva was my Great Aunty, and she had told me that she had divorced him.
Unfortunatley I wasn't interested in family history then, so didn't ask her or other family any further information.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jan 2022 15:20

That wasn't made clear in your original post ;-) ;-)

Jan.

Jan. Report 21 Jan 2022 15:38

Sorry ErikaH Its just that I knew they had divorced and was asking how to find the divorce records. :-)