Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re "Jewish births" thread now deleted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Feb 2022 08:50

Just to round off Connie's thread about Jewish births -

a PM from Connie shows that Kath and I had both picked the same birth from the many with a certain first name, born in a certain quarter of 1940 in the Preston area.
Kath had also found that he'd had his name changed by deed poll.

A satisfying result.

[EDIT: at least I think the wording in Connie's PM means that Kath found out about the deed poll. ]

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Feb 2022 10:12

Hi ArgyllGran

Just to make things a bit clearer, I didn't find out about a name change by deed poll. I just suggested that he had probably had his name changed.

I also didn't actually find a birth that matched the info Connie had given me in a pm (name, date of birth and Preston area).

So not really a result at all :-S

Kath. x

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 28 Feb 2022 12:38

Oh dear - so Connie has just assumed that the birth I suggested as a wild guess
(Jewish name, in the quarter to fit the DOB she gave, and in/near Preston ) was the correct one, and that he changed his name.

Well, it might be the right one - but no way to know.

The PM she sent me, which confused me:

"Kath managed to find what she thought was his birth in Preston. He was born [XXXX ] so he wasn’t adopted but had his name changed by deed poll as many others did.
Thanks for your help."

Have PMd her to stress yet again that it was only a suggestion - hopefully before she spends money on the cert.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 28 Feb 2022 13:04

She Is waiting for a certificate, which may or may not solve the problem.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Feb 2022 15:20

I don't know how my reply led to Connie's assumption. This is what I said:-

I've looked at births and can't find anything likely for the name ******* (and variants of the name) in the second quarter of 1940.

The name doesn't sound in the least bit Jewish so it is possible that he was adopted by the a family called *****. Without knowing his biological parents names it will be impossible to go any further with this.

Sorry.

Unless there is someone else called Kath who has replied as well.

Kath. x