Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding adoptive family to tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

friendlywelshdragon

friendlywelshdragon Report 22 Mar 2022 17:54

Can I add adoptive parents to the Family tree . . My grandm.other was adopted .
Unofficially ,as there was no official adoption at that time . 1903 .Took the adoptive parents surname on her wedding certificate . but her birth surname is different How do I put both mothers names on the family tree .

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Mar 2022 18:08

You can't.

You'll have to enter your grandmother on your tree as the daughter of her birth mother and (presumably) an unknown father, and then add a note to explain about the adoptive parents.

I take it this is Rose Esther we're talking about?
I can't remember - did you have her birth cert to see her mother's name?

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1376595

The same problem arises with Thomas Gregory Jones.

If you also want the adoptive parents and their blood ancestors and blood descendants on the tree, you should start a separate tree for them.

EDIT:

Actually, as you don't know anything about Rose's mother or blood ancestors (as far as I can remember) and if you're wanting to include ancestors of her adoptive parents on your tree, you would be better to enter Rose as the daughter of the adoptive parents, with a note to say that she was an adopted daughter.

Then you wouldn't need another tree for Annie and William.

Neither option Is perfect. It's really up to you how you want to play it.

friendlywelshdragon

friendlywelshdragon Report 22 Mar 2022 18:24

As you know I have been writing about this family on another thread . It is confusing for anyone searching if I put her name as Rose davies when she married as Rose Jones

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Mar 2022 18:26

You could give her an extra name eg : Rose Esther Adopted….and then add the note explaining. This way she would show as part of her new family but obviously not a child of the parents.

friendlywelshdragon

friendlywelshdragon Report 22 Mar 2022 18:40

Her birth mother was single ,,married later .. She is on one census as Davies and on later census as Jones I have traced more of the birth family on the census than her adopted one , ,but it is the adopted parents that she knew mainly as her family . Struggling to trace them because of the Jones surname . So many of them .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 22 Mar 2022 20:47

Unless you are expecting other people to look at the tree on GR, it doesn’t matter how you add her, as long as you put info in the notes as a reminder to yourself. Hardly anybody uses GR these days

friendlywelshdragon

friendlywelshdragon Report 23 Mar 2022 16:00

It's a shame that not many are using it . I always found the people on the boards here were very helpful . They broke a lot of my brick wallls . .